• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Laura_Wiggo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello lovely piggy owners, I'm new here but I'm looking for some advice for my little Trotsky. My spoilt little boy is 4 years old now, he was my first guinea pig and I'd be so lost without him! He's always been a very social piggy, cheeky and noisy and loves to be around me. 2 weeks ago I picked him up for a cuddle and noticed he had a small lump growing on his nipple, concerned about him I took him to a local vet who assured me it was probably just a skin tag but she'd prefer to remove it just to be on the safe side. The lump was removed under anaesthetic and he recovered from it quickly. When I went to pick him up the vet warned me that she 'didn't like the look' of the colour inside the growth but as it was now off that he would be fine. He's been eating and drinking and jumping around like his usual self. This morning, a week after his operation, I picked him up just to check he hasn't been chewing his stitches and I was horrified to find that there's now a bigger, round lump under his skin at the site of the stitches. It doesn't seem to be hurting him at all. It's mostly firm, but a little bit squishy and moves slightly when touched, it's about the size of a 5p coin. He's booked in for a follow up at the vet in a couple of days time but I'm going out of my mind here waiting. Is there a chance that it could just be swelling from the stitches or could this be something more serious?

Welcome to the Forum
:wel:

And sorry to hear about your recent problems with Trotsky - he sounds like a very loved piggy indeed.

Of course it is impossible to say what it could be, but was he given antibiotics after the operation?
And if so which ones and what does?
If he wasn't, then it might be an abscess - so nothing too sinister, but it will need treating asap.
Is it possible to get him back to the vet sooner (Monday?).
Please let us know how you get on.
There are lots of members on here who are very experienced with this sort of thing so you will get lots of good advice and support, whatever the problem turns out to be.

Hello lovely piggy owners, I'm new here but I'm looking for some advice for my little Trotsky. My spoilt little boy is 4 years old now, he was my first guinea pig and I'd be so lost without him! He's always been a very social piggy, cheeky and noisy and loves to be around me. 2 weeks ago I picked him up for a cuddle and noticed he had a small lump growing on his nipple, concerned about him I took him to a local vet who assured me it was probably just a skin tag but she'd prefer to remove it just to be on the safe side. The lump was removed under anaesthetic and he recovered from it quickly. When I went to pick him up the vet warned me that she 'didn't like the look' of the colour inside the growth but as it was now off that he would be fine. He's been eating and drinking and jumping around like his usual self. This morning, a week after his operation, I picked him up just to check he hasn't been chewing his stitches and I was horrified to find that there's now a bigger, round lump under his skin at the site of the stitches. It doesn't seem to be hurting him at all. It's mostly firm, but a little bit squishy and moves slightly when touched, it's about the size of a 5p coin. He's booked in for a follow up at the vet in a couple of days time but I'm going out of my mind here waiting. Is there a chance that it could just be swelling from the stitches or could this be something more serious?

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your problems. Boars can get mammary cancer, which can be benign or malign.

However, only your vet can decide whether you are dealing with an abscess, an edema (blood lump) or actually a tumour. The first two are not uncommon post-op complications that appear around this time post-op. Please have him seen by your vet as soon as you can tomorrow if the lump is suddently starting to grow very quickly.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Hope all goes well for your boy's vet visit and that the lump isn't anything too serious.

Welcome to the Forum. So sorry that your piggy has had a lump removed and that he now has some kind of swelling in that area. As @Wiebke says only your Vet can make the diagnosis for you so best to see them as soon as possible.
Let us know how he gets on. xx

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry it's no in happier circumstances. Definitely see what the vet has to say, did they not send the lump for testing to check what it was so you have an idea of what could happen going forward? Hope you get some good news when you go back

Hi there!

So sorry to hear about your piggy's health issues :(
The swelling under his stitches could be cellulitis, a skin infection that's quite common and easily treated. People often get it after surgery and I've seen lot's of animals get it over the years. One of my piggies got it from a little cut on his ear.

Hopefully that's all it is and your mind can be put to ease!

Back