• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Desperate - Massive fast weight loss and no vet diagnosis

gunniebeansmalavita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've made an account out of desperation as I really need help with my piggy

His name is Gunnie he is about 2.5 years old. He has been eating less and less and has been making noises like he is in pain when he pees.

He has been weight for the past 3 nights, all between 10 pm - 12am:

19/02 1056g
20/02 1000g
21/02 978g
(78g/2.75oz total lost in 48 hours)

He went to the vet on Wednesday (not sure of exact day but somewhere this week) and was given pain killers and antibiotics. I'm not sure of my specifics as he currently lives with my sisters in Norwich as I am in Leicester for university.
He has an appointment for 5:30 pm tomorrow.

Following his weight change tonight I told my sister to call the vet as I'd consider it an emergency that he has lost almost 3oz in the span of 48 hours. They said there was nothing they could do until his appointment and they would try their best to find out what is wrong with him.7

I am so scared he won't make it through the night please tell me what we can do to make sure he's okay.

Will syringe feeding help? If so will crushed up pellets with water be okay? There's not much to get at this hour.

He has unlimited hay and has a separate area for himself to make sure bullying doesn't prevent him from eating.

Please help

TL,DR: 2.5 year male piggy lost almost 3oz in 48 hours. Vet appointment late in the day tomorrow but very scared he will not make it through the night. Please tell me what I can do to help him

This time is usually the time where most of our forum members are asleep. Syringe feeding will most definitely help to keep his gut from going into stasis if he’s not eating for himself, I’ll try and grab you the information on it from our forum quickly

Hang in there! He's on meds and has an appointment pretty soon. Id say if he'll take syringe feedings, that's great and can't hurt.

I'm definitely not an expert. Id say try to relax about the weight till he gets to the appointment. 25g doesnt seem that alarming, and their weight can vary throughout the day.

Sounds like you're doing all you can 💕

This time is usually the time where most of our forum members are asleep. Syringe feeding will most definitely help to keep his gut from going into stasis if he’s not eating for himself, I’ll try and grab you the information on it from our forum quickly

Thank you so so much for replying I've told my sister to do that and she's trying now - just crushed up pellets and water but anything to help him.

I've looked over everything on the forum and I've watched quite a bit on youtube and making a post was really the last resort I'm just glad someone could help thank you so much

Hang in there! He's on meds and has an appointment pretty soon. Id say if he'll take syringe feedings, that's great and can't hurt.

I'm definitely not an expert. Id say try to relax about the weight till he gets to the appointment. 25g doesnt seem that alarming, and their weight can vary throughout the day.

Sounds like you're doing all you can 💕

Thank you I'll try not to be too anxious to be honest I'm fully considering getting the first train out just to help him and my sister

I've made an account out of desperation as I really need help with my piggy

His name is Gunnie he is about 2.5 years old. He has been eating less and less and has been making noises like he is in pain when he pees.

He has been weight for the past 3 nights, all between 10 pm - 12am:

19/02 1056g
20/02 1000g
21/02 978g
(78g/2.75oz total lost in 48 hours)

He went to the vet on Wednesday (not sure of exact day but somewhere this week) and was given pain killers and antibiotics. I'm not sure of my specifics as he currently lives with my sisters in Norwich as I am in Leicester for university.
He has an appointment for 5:30 pm tomorrow.

Following his weight change tonight I told my sister to call the vet as I'd consider it an emergency that he has lost almost 3oz in the span of 48 hours. They said there was nothing they could do until his appointment and they would try their best to find out what is wrong with him.7

I am so scared he won't make it through the night please tell me what we can do to make sure he's okay.

Will syringe feeding help? If so will crushed up pellets with water be okay? There's not much to get at this hour.

He has unlimited hay and has a separate area for himself to make sure bullying doesn't prevent him from eating.

Please help

TL,DR: 2.5 year male piggy lost almost 3oz in 48 hours. Vet appointment late in the day tomorrow but very scared he will not make it through the night. Please tell me what I can do to help him

Hi!

I am very sorry; it is tough being with a very ill piggy and not getting any help from the vets but even worse when you cannot be there. You need to step in with syringe feeding and watering around the clock because your piggy has hardly eaten or drunk anything with this kind of weight loss.

It is possible that a bladder stone has been washed into the urethra, got stuck in the awkward inglenook that boars have in there and could be blocking the flow of urine. However, I am only guessing. :(

Please take the time to have a look at our one stop emergency guide, which contains all the necessary information and tips, including what you can do with what you have at home or easily available in a pinch. However, if your piggy is refusing to fight the syringe well in excess to his weakness, then it is sadly very likely that his body has started to close down. You can find information on what you can do in this case in the last chapter. You may want to forward this link to your sister, too.
Here is the link: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers VERY firmly crossed in this very anxious time.

Hi!

I am very sorry; it is tough being with a very ill piggy and not getting any help from the vets but even worse when you cannot be there. You need to step in with syringe feeding and watering around the clock because your piggy has hardly eaten or drunk anything with this kind of weight loss. Mystery weight loss is my least favourite symptom.

Please take the time to have a look at our one stop emergency guide, which contains all the necessary information and tips, including what you can do with what you have at home or easily available in a pinch. However, if your piggy is refusing to fight the syringe well in excess to his weakness, then it is sadly very likely that his body has started to close down. You can find information on what you can do in this case in the last chapter. You may want to forward this link to your sister, too.
Here is the link: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers VERY firmly crossed in this very anxious time.

Thank you for replying despite the time.

My sister is trying to syringe him so far he has had 1ml (the whole syringe) and she's giving him a 10 minute break before irritating him again. I will look through everything and link it to her as well.

Thank you all again

44C423B0-41BA-41B8-BF10-F41BB24E38F7.jpeg
He is being syringe fed at the moment. Still got the spirit to be cheeky enough to kick and fuss about in retaliation so I’m seeing that as a good thing.

He is drinking water and eating some hay. No pellets at all (apart from surging feeding). He still wants veg.

My sister seems to think that his teeth are also involved - he is chewing whatever and he might now want to eat pellets because they’re so hard?

Can’t say anything for sure but will definitely bring it all up with the vet.

thank you all again for responding despite the time and giving advice. I will post updates, hopefully good ones. 🧡

Hi.
Sorry your piggie is poorly.
You have done a lot to help and some great fantastic advise given. . . Write things down to ask the vet etc. I do that because it helps me. .
Come on little piggie. X

Hi.
Sorry your piggie is poorly.
You have done a lot to help and some great fantastic advise given. . . Write things down to ask the vet etc. I do that because it helps me. .
Come on little piggie. X
Thank you - I’ve made a note of lots of things I wanna tell and ask the vet to make sure nothing is looked over. Hopefully the tests will test us what’s wrong

If you think it’s his teeth, can you get him to the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton they are the best for assessing oral problems with piggies and can do a proper examination of the mouth and correct any teeth spurs there and then, consciously. Ask for an appt with Simon or Kim they are amazing GP vets. They open at 8.00 am and emergency appts go fast as people travel from all over the country to see them x
Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic | Northlands Vets

Chewing at things can be a sign of pain or even a side effect of some antibiotics as the gut can be upset by them and it makes them chew anything. Loss of appetite can be a sign of pain even if the teeth are perfect. If he makes a pained noise when he is peeing it is likely that he has either a urinary tract infection (and you have antibiotics) or some sort of stone (in the bladder, or in the urethra which he pees through) which they will be able to spot using x-ray. Both of these are not uncommon. It won't be cheap I'm afraid but it is always best to find out what is wrong if you can. They should test his pee for the presence of blood/bacteria/calcium crystals. They should check his bladder is not blocked by a stone... it is important that he keeps peeing even if it is hurting him poor fellow. If a stone is there then surgery is probably your only option in a boar - sows can sometimes pass them as their tubes are a bit wider and more accessible, but boars do suffer. The weight loss is dramatic but they can lose more and get it back... the important thing is that they do not go into gut-stasis where the guts just stop working. This can happen quite quickly even in a heavy animal - they don't have to get thin first. The owner steps in with the syringe to support feed to keep everything moving through the crisis. Keep an eye on the amount and quality of his poops (size, dryness) which will give you an idea about how much he is eating.

It is awful when they are ill - I hope you can get/have got some answers 💕

Back