• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, my female guinea pig was recently diagnosed with mammary inflammation, she has a swollen blue nipple which was bleeding as well. the vet said it's not a tumor and he seemed pretty confident about it.He also did an FNAC to confirm if its a tumor or not.......... So, is there anyone whose guinea pig has been diagnosed with Mastitis or mammary inflammation?

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying :))
She is much better now , the swelling has reduced and it’s less blue.
he said only an fnac test can determine if there is tumor or not.it’s done by taking a blood sample and checking the cells for tumour. He took her blood from the nipple area.
i am attaching the before and after pics so that you can access the difference

Attachments

• AA8437AF-554D-4077-A271-7D3385E99739.jpeg
    AA8437AF-554D-4077-A271-7D3385E99739.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 247B9A26-E799-4BC6-BA5E-38E7415707FB.jpeg
    247B9A26-E799-4BC6-BA5E-38E7415707FB.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 9

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That does look a lot better. Is there talk of removing the tumour?

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vet says it’s not a tumour so no conversation regarding that
I don’t know what to do
He seems pretty confident it’s not a tumour and it has also improved
Do you know how does tumor get detected?
or if you heard of such a case of mammary inflammation which was not a tumor ?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m afraid I know nothing about tumours. One of the more experienced members will answer in good time.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I’ve no direct experience of anything like this. If he’s taken a fine needle aspiration that should reveal if there are cancerous cells. But many mammary tumour are benign in my experience.
if the nipple is less swollen now it would seem as if there may be infection or a fluid build up. Has the vet given antibiotics or anti inflammatory medication?

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry, I’ve no direct experience of anything like this. If he’s taken a fine needle aspiration that should reveal if there are cancerous cells. But many mammary tumour are benign in my experience.
if the nipple is less swollen now it would seem as if there may be infection or a fluid build up. Has the vet given antibiotics or anti inflammatory medication?
Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes he has given antibiotics , anti inflammatory syrups and that has reduced the swelling and blue area to quite some extent. I think if it was a tumor then the medicines wouldn’t have reduced the swelling what do you say?
it does seem some kind of infection

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can you guys please please tag someone who might know about this ☹️

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Wiebke has the best experience in this area I think and she has already been tagged, we are all volunteers here and the relevant expert will pop by when she can, but we all have our own piggies and day jobs and families besides the forum!
Nipple changes may perhaps also be indicative of ovarian cysts or cancer too, caused by hormone changes, so perhaps an ultrasound scan of the ovaries may be informative if the vet thinks the fine needle aspiration shows no cancer in the mammary tissue?

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wiebke has the best experience in this area I think and she has already been tagged, we are all volunteers here and the relevant expert will pop by when she can, but we all have our own piggies and day jobs and families besides the forum!
Nipple changes may perhaps also be indicative of ovarian cysts or cancer too, caused by hormone changes, so perhaps an ultrasound scan of the ovaries may be informative if the vet thinks the fine needle aspiration shows no cancer in the mammary tissue?
He is insisting on an infection only
I’ll ask the vet to get an ultrasound done
Thanks for giving your opinion and helping
I really appreciate it 😊😊😊

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey beautiful people, my guinea has been having mammary (swollen nipple) problems
So has anyone else faced this with their piggies
Also how does the vet determine mammary tumour?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Have you had your piggy undergo any more tests/scans?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m afraid I don’t how that’s done. Did he tell you the method? There is always a risk with any kind of surgery, however minor. But the risks can be lessened with an experienced vet. I would speak to him about your concerns and any questions you may have. It’s always best to speak to your vet.

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m afraid I don’t how that’s done. Did he tell you the method? There is always a risk with any kind of surgery, however minor. But the risks can be lessened with an experienced vet. I would speak to him about your concerns and any questions you may have. It’s always best to speak to your vet.
Yeas thankyou so much for the support , you’re really helpful😊😊😊