• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jasmined

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Last night I noticed my one year old female guinea was the slightest bit swollen and teary in one eye.
Checked again in the morning and it was definitely a little more swollen but I wasn’t sure if it was serious or something that may pass.

The vet I use is obviously operating differently due to the covid situation, so I checked them out and they said it’s best to contact via FB message than to call. So I messaged on FB and got sort of slow (understandably) and kind of vague replies about whether I should be concerned.
Literally went for a walk for about 2 hours, came back and noticed her partner had a swollen eye too, much worse though and visibly an issue with some discharge and cloudiness (seem this before on her and was confident she’d had an ulcer) so obviously at this point I’m in borderline panic as surely this is now classed emergency as I’m thinking surely this isn’t coincidence and they may be infectious?

I call vets and get an appt for this eve (was a mess but that’s another story)
Anyway long story short vet diagnoses Teddy with ulcer, gives expected medication etc - all ok
However says there is absolutely nothing wrong with Poppy. But as her owner I’m pretty confident her eye is not as it normally is but vet insists nothing is wrong.
I’m not sure whether to trust The vets right or seek a second opinion - any advice?

I’ll post a pic with it, you can see the bottom eyelid has some white and is puffy. It was red last night and she’s still very blinky and a bit teary

Attachments

• A4F345B4-7C73-4EFD-A502-BC4FC02013CE.jpeg
    A4F345B4-7C73-4EFD-A502-BC4FC02013CE.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
In case any one needs to see this is her other eye which is normal for her

PLUS

A pic of Teddys (White Rex girl) eye. I can see they’re very different so possibly is just a coincidence that both had eye changes in the same day?

Attachments

• A6131A39-8633-4C28-8102-C03BF388E074.jpeg
    A6131A39-8633-4C28-8102-C03BF388E074.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ADA08352-F4F6-4347-B4C3-46974746AAD6.jpeg
    ADA08352-F4F6-4347-B4C3-46974746AAD6.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
In case any one needs to see this is her other eye which is normal for her

PLUS

A pic of Teddys (White Rex girl) eye. I can see they’re very different so possibly is just a coincidence that both had eye changes in the same day?

Hi!

Last night I noticed my one year old female guinea was the slightest bit swollen and teary in one eye.
Checked again in the morning and it was definitely a little more swollen but I wasn’t sure if it was serious or something that may pass.

The vet I use is obviously operating differently due to the covid situation, so I checked them out and they said it’s best to contact via FB message than to call. So I messaged on FB and got sort of slow (understandably) and kind of vague replies about whether I should be concerned.
Literally went for a walk for about 2 hours, came back and noticed her partner had a swollen eye too, much worse though and visibly an issue with some discharge and cloudiness (seem this before on her and was confident she’d had an ulcer) so obviously at this point I’m in borderline panic as surely this is now classed emergency as I’m thinking surely this isn’t coincidence and they may be infectious?

I call vets and get an appt for this eve (was a mess but that’s another story)
Anyway long story short vet diagnoses Teddy with ulcer, gives expected medication etc - all ok
However says there is absolutely nothing wrong with Poppy. But as her owner I’m pretty confident her eye is not as it normally is but vet insists nothing is wrong.
I’m not sure whether to trust The vets right or seek a second opinion - any advice?

I’ll post a pic with it, you can see the bottom eyelid has some white and is puffy. It was red last night and she’s still very blinky and a bit teary

Hi!

Your lighter girl has definitely got an eye infection that needs prompt medication!

If the white dot is inside the eye, then it is likely an osseous choristoma (soft tissue is changing to bone locally) or it could be the start of a cataract which will continue to grow. In neither of these cases your vet can do anything but give you the diagnosis.
Links - Eye Conditions - Guinea Lynx Records
Links - Eye Conditions - Guinea Lynx Records

If the dot is on the eye surface, then you need to see your vet for a small hay poke that has started to ulcerate. The bluish film will continue to grown and cover the eye surface if left untreated while the infection will track further into the eye underneath. Deterioration is normally pretty quick and unmistakeable. An ulceration requires prompt vet treatment.

Back