• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

SDRB_TP

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi and thank you for clicking on my thread,

Well firstly I’d briefly like to say I used this forum obsessively when I first got my piggies 6 and a half years ago and was such a great help to me learning - and I am back with a plea for advice.

I’m left with my final piggie now, who is 7 in a week, and she has been diagnosed with heterotopic bone fragments growing within her eye. Apparently it’s an infrequent occurance to do with guinea pig eyes aging, however they’re unsure if it’s actually relevant to an individuals age or if it’s just to do with their own body. It’s a benign tumour however evidently does cause pain. The option was to have her eye out to prevent her from being in pain however she also has breathing problems so the vet highly doesn’t recommend this. She said to consider euthanasia if she becomes in significant pain, but I am worried as I would hate for her to be in pain but as we all know pigs are such little soldiers who hide it right up until the last minute. I want to do what’s best for her but as the vet herself said it’s hard to tell how much pain she is in unless it’s so significant she stops eating.

Ultimately I’m unsure what kind of advice I’m asking for specifically so I’m sorry for the confusion - but any insight into maybe when you’ve had to choose euthanasia as an option and why it was so clear to you would be great. The thought of letting her go upsets me so much but the thought of keeping her in pain is worse.
Also if anyone has happened (by a slim chance) to have come across this medical occruance before either through their guinea pig or just having heard of it, please any extra insight would be amazing.

Thank you so much for reading this.

Best wishes,
Poppy and my little piglet Lily.

Hi. I’m sorry but I’m not experienced with this to offer any more insight I’m afraid. Just thought I’d offer support. Lily’s reached a good age for a piggy and it’s so hard having to contemplate having her pts. Sorry I can’t help any more but love & hugs to you & Lily x :love:

Is she on pain relief at the min to keep her more comfortable? I've not been fortunate enough to make a decision to PTS when it wasn't 100% clear. The two of mine that have been have been found dying and rushed to be pts. I also have no experience of condition at all but usually hunching up, fluffing up of hair, lack of appetite, moving around less all indicate pain. I would say while they are happy in themselves and behaving normally I would keep them going but as soon as that changes to look at helping them on their way. 7 is a wonderful age and testimony to your care

I’m sorry to hear that you are down to your last piggy. And that Lily has this condition. I’m not sure if it’s the same as I’ve heard mentioned in another thread. Here is the link in case it is. If it isn’t then apologies for the de-railing of your thread.

Osseous Metaplasia In Eye

I have no doubt that as such a caring owner you will know when the time is right for Lily. In the meantime keeping her comfy and enjoying precious time with her is all you can do. Hugs xx

Sorry I can't help with the specific condition but I have had to make the decision to have a pet put to sleep.
I know how tough it is but I think we know in our hearts when it's the right time.
I cried my eyes out in the vets as we agreed the only option for Philemon, a beloved piggy, was to put him to sleep as he had a brain tumour and the fitting was getting really bad.
Holding you in my thoughts at the difficult time.

Hi. I’m sorry but I’m not experienced with this to offer any more insight I’m afraid. Just thought I’d offer support. Lily’s reached a good age for a piggy and it’s so hard having to contemplate having her pts. Sorry I can’t help any more but love & hugs to you & Lily x :love:
Thank you very much for your words of kindness x

Is she on pain relief at the min to keep her more comfortable? I've not been fortunate enough to make a decision to PTS when it wasn't 100% clear. The two of mine that have been have been found dying and rushed to be pts. I also have no experience of condition at all but usually hunching up, fluffing up of hair, lack of appetite, moving around less all indicate pain. I would say while they are happy in themselves and behaving normally I would keep them going but as soon as that changes to look at helping them on their way. 7 is a wonderful age and testimony to your care
Thank you for your advice! Yeah she is on pain relief and is acting normal as she ever was which is why I’m so concerned, but thank you for the symptoms of pain I’ll keep them in my mind. Thank you very much for your kind words

I’m sorry to hear that you are down to your last piggy. And that Lily has this condition. I’m not sure if it’s the same as I’ve heard mentioned in another thread. Here is the link in case it is. If it isn’t then apologies for the de-railing of your thread.

Osseous Metaplasia In Eye

I have no doubt that as such a caring owner you will know when the time is right for Lily. In the meantime keeping her comfy and enjoying precious time with her is all you can do. Hugs xx
I think it might be I’ll check it out now as it has two names, thank you for linking to to me! Thank you so much for your kind words and advice xx

Sorry I can't help with the specific condition but I have had to make the decision to have a pet put to sleep.
I know how tough it is but I think we know in our hearts when it's the right time.
I cried my eyes out in the vets as we agreed the only option for Philemon, a beloved piggy, was to put him to sleep as he had a brain tumour and the fitting was getting really bad.
Holding you in my thoughts at the difficult time.
Thank you for your advice and words of wisdom, I’m really sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how upset you were. Thanks again for your reply

I am really sorry. We have had several piggies PTS unfortunately some more clean cut choices than others - as soon as they seem unhappy and not their usual self, hunched up etc as @Lady Kelly.... then you have to really start thinking about it - quality of life is so very important.

My primary concern in this case would be speaking to your vet to obtain adequate pain relief and a pain management plan so while you can you can keep Lily pain free until you have to make the decision to help her on her way to the bridge.

Huge hugs and love to Lily x

I am really sorry. We have had several piggies PTS unfortunately some more clean cut choices than others - as soon as they seem unhappy and not their usual self, hunched up etc as @Lady Kelly.... then you have to really start thinking about it - quality of life is so very important.

My primary concern in this case would be speaking to your vet to obtain adequate pain relief and a pain management plan so while you can you can keep Lily pain free until you have to make the decision to help her on her way to the bridge.

Huge hugs and love to Lily x

Thank you very much for your advice. At the moment she is her normal self so that is reassuring, I’m just worried I won’t notice if she’s in pain but I will keep an eye out for those symptoms mentioned. She’s currently on meta cam daily which is hopefully helping with the pain, it’s hard as like the vet said it’s impossible to know how much pain she is in :( thank you again for your words of support it means a lot x

Back