• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Found out after a year I have a boar and a sow rather than two sow's. How come they haven't mated?

SkittlesandFluffles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my situation is abit tricky, I haven't been able to find Info on this anywhere.
Today, after a year of owning my two pigs I've noticed that my sow is actually a boar. I've had this verified by someone more experienced than me, but i find it strange that they haven't mated by now. I'm pretty sure they haven't been fixed either.

My sow, skittles, is a little older and has always been the dominant one, fluffles was a little baby so skittles always dominated him. Even now fluffles is alot larger, he is still submissive and its not been often that I've seen him do any mating dances. Skittles on the other hand does this daily, she will chase him around, mount and hump him and stick her face in his bum lol. I've only recently noticed fluffles try and nibble Skittle's ear but never seems to be that aggressive.
So after a year, you'd think they'd of made babies by now right? Nope, no babies. Although this is a good thing bc i really don't need that lol but what would be the reason for this? I've heard guinea pigs can mate and have babies quite quickly.

Also I'm pretty certain skittles isn't pregnant right now and never has been.

Fluffles is possibly slightly over weight, could that be a factor?

Any advice would be great, thankyou!

Are you sure they’re not both boars? Where did you get them from and when? Either the sow is spayed or the boar is neutered. There’s no way they could be together that long and not have pups. Or they’re both boars.

Ear licking is grooming, a sort of ‘please accept me. I love you’. It’s not done aggressively. I’ve seen my undersow do it to her friend.

Please view our sexing guide to confirm the genders of both piggies. Illustrated Sexing Guide

As this is a rescue friendly forum where discussion of intentional breeding is prohibited, if you have a sow and an intact boar you should separate them as soon as possible.

Are you sure they’re not both boars? Where did you get them from and when? Either the sow is spayed or the boar is neutered. There’s no way they could be together that long and not have pups. Or they’re both boars.

Ear licking is grooming, a sort of ‘please accept me. I love you’. It’s not done aggressively. I’ve seen my undersow do it to her friend.

I am 100% certain. I've had photos of both of them verified by several people including myself to say I definitely have a boar and a sow. I had my boar when he was a baby and my sow was a little older but both have definitely not been fixed. I got them from a petstore over a year ago. They told me the sow had to be introduced into the pack as she possibly had a previous owner, but they told me neither have been fixed.

If they’re opposite sexes you have to separate them. But it’s nigh on impossible for her to not be pregnant I’d you have one of each. Did you get the sow from a pet shop as well?

If they’re opposite sexes you have to separate them. But it’s nigh on impossible for her to not be pregnant I’d you have one of each. Did you get the sow from a pet shop as well?

Yeah i got both from the same place but my sow was nearly fully grown when I had her (got told she was introduced into the pack at a later stage)
I've checked her over and she's definitely not pregnant as far as I know. I've tried separating them but they both became so distressed and sad I haven't got the heart to do it. I'm keeping them together until I can sort out to get my boar neutered and both checked over by a vet, they haven't made babies in this past year so I'm sure they'll be fine for a few days, if they do make babies, I've prepared myself to handle it and spent alot of time learning everything i need to know.

I suggest getting them both looked over by a vet, they can verify their sex and probably see if either has been fixed or if there is some reason why they haven't mated.

As already said, it’s not possible they’re opposite sexes if she hasn’t fallen pregnant in the one year they’ve been together. Sows have seasons roughly every two weeks. That’s 26 chances she could have fallen pregnant.

Yeah i got both from the same place but my sow was nearly fully grown when I had her (got told she was introduced into the pack at a later stage)
I've checked her over and she's definitely not pregnant as far as I know. I've tried separating them but they both became so distressed and sad I haven't got the heart to do it. I'm keeping them together until I can sort out to get my boar neutered and both checked over by a vet, they haven't made babies in this past year so I'm sure they'll be fine for a few days, if they do make babies, I've prepared myself to handle it and spent alot of time learning everything i need to know.

Hi!

What makes you think you suddenly have got a boar? Have you checked the genitals first and foremost to confirm your suspicions?

Boars start making babies from 3 WEEKS onwards (i.e. as soon as they are weaned). A pregnancy lasts about 10 WEEKS, not 10 months. So you would have had babies within 3 months of them being together and more babies every 9-10 weeks thereafter.

Adult sows and boars look very different downbelow. You can't miss the descended testicles in an adult boar over 4-6 months of age.
Boar bits:
1600535025047.png

Large boar bits in a 6 months old boar.
1600535075380.png

Sow genitalia
1600535103437.png

More information and reference pictures in sexing in this link here: Illustrated Sexing Guide

If for some reason you have a mixed gender pair, then one of them must be sterile; so there is no need to worry or to have your boy neutered.

I would however strongly suggest that you check our your sow for ovarian cysts if you worry about a potential pregnancy because large cysts can look a bit like a pregnancy.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

If you need confirmation of the sexes of the piggies you are worried about, please post clear, sharp and preferably day lit pictures in this guide here. We can't help you if you just share your guesses and panic but no verifiable facts with us.

PS: We most strongly recommend to double check the gender of any new piggy upon arrival and before they join a herd or group. For that reason, we have compiled a very clear sexing guide with lots of reference pictures and how to learn to check the more gender specific areas rather than look just at the outside of the genitalia. We also offer help with sexing. But unless you give us some information we can stand on and work from, we can only reflect your concerns back to you but do anything about the issue.
Please take a deep breath and take some pictures so we can have a look for ourselves and hopefull allay your fears.

Last edited:
Back