• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grass Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magician

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When feeding pigs grass does it count as part of their daily hay portion or as part of their greens ration?
Is grass that has frost on it, but is now completely defrosted, okay?
Is grass from horses' fields okay? (We do regularly worm our horses, but dogs can get sick from eating horse poo with wormer in or grass that's had horse poo with wormer in on it, so I was just wondering. Normally I pick the grass from outside the horses' field but it would be useful because there's some really nice grass in there).

Aladdin and Lenny say thank you <3 :) (Notice Lenny's smirk! He's the smooth haired chap on the right)
FBrxg8f.jpg

When feeding pigs grass does it count as part of their daily hay portion or as part of their greens ration?
Is grass that has frost on it, but is now completely defrosted, okay?
Is grass from horses' fields okay? (We do regularly worm our horses, but dogs can get sick from eating horse poo with wormer in or grass that's had horse poo with wormer in on it, so I was just wondering. Normally I pick the grass from outside the horses' field but it would be useful because there's some really nice grass in there).

I asked your first question about forage (including grass) when I first joined here, and the answer was that fresh grass counted as part of the fresh food portion. However on the basis that the grass I was feeding is native meadow grass (greater diversity, at least 11 species) as opposed to lawn or agricultural grass (predominantly non-native high calcium ryegrass, which is what Readigrass is made from), this is basically the same as what the local hay I'm feeding is made from, I'm being more liberal with amounts.

I'm not sure about the defrosted aspect, but grass in that state will have a higher water content than fresh grass. So that could be problematic, especially if introduced quickly. I've stopped feeding mine grass since the weather changed because of that though. So I'd be interested in the answer to that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back