• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Not Eating Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophadopha97

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

My 2/3 year old guinea Pablo has recently lost a lot of weight and grown rather skinny - from 1300g at his peak 2 months ago to 1000g last week.

I took him to the vets for a regular check up as I'd noticed he'd lost weight but was still eating. The vet suggested it would probably be a tooth problem, but he'd need an anesthetic to check and make sure - and if it was a tooth problem he'd need a further operation if he was to get them filed. Over the next few days he started to go off his food, become tired and less like my Pabby. I had my doubts that it was his teeth - he was still eating hard foods like carrots, wasn't dropping his food and didn't drool at all.

I took him to the vets near me that deal with the Rspca guinea pigs; I took him there when he had an allergic reaction to internal stitches and the vet treated him brilliantly compared to my local. Anyway, the second vet at the other practice had a look inside his mouth with the instrument to prop open their fat pouches so they can see the back teeth and said she was certain it wasn't a teeth problem and they all looked fine. She gave me a prescription for 0.5ml of metacam daily for pain relief, and emeprid 0.5ml twice daily for digestive help. She hoped that the problem could perhaps be treated symptomatically without the need for blood tests ect.
As soon as he had the medicine he perked up, began eating again and turned back into the usual Pablo, although he still didn't want to eat hay. Today he seems to be back to his ill self again, he isn't interested in eating (although hasn't lost any weight since we last saw the vet) and seems really tired.

I've noticed after he eats something, whether it's a small nibble of kale or I'm syringe feeding critical care he seems to extent out his mouth in a funny way. I'm considering taking him back to the vet if he doesn't perk up in the next 24 hours, but has anyone else had this experience?
He still isn't drooling but equally doesn't want to eat unless absolutely forced.

Any ideas on what perhaps could be wrong would be most appreciated :-)

It sounds like it could be teeth problems so he'll need another vet visit.

There is an amazing "piggy dentist" at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton if your vet can't/isn't able to help.

I agree with Jaycey , could be teeth, an experienced pig teeth savvy vet would be the best way to go !

Thanks for your reply.

If it is his teeth that are the problem, what are the chances of him getting better if they're filed down? Had a previous piggie when I was little who died after having her teeth filed so very wary.

If you are able to get him to Simon in Northampton he stands every chance of recovery. He deals with dental issues daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back