• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Genitals Problem

Alexemond97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new guinea pig owner and the vet currently doesn’t have disponibilities and it is the only one in my region who treats exotic animals, but I have a problem with one of my guinea pig’s genitals. I got him (or her?) in a rescue and they didn’t said anything about it expect that it will get better...

I will join a photo so you can tell me if you have any idea of what is wrong.

Thank you for your help and sorry for orthograph mistakes, my first language is not english.

image.webp

Hi,

I am a new guinea pig owner and the vet currently doesn’t have disponibilities and it is the only one in my region who treats exotic animals, but I have a problem with one of my guinea pig’s genitals. I got him (or her?) in a rescue and they didn’t said anything about it expect that it will get better...

I will join a photo so you can tell me if you have any idea of what is wrong.

Thank you for your help and sorry for orthograph mistakes, my first language is not english.

View attachment 84711

Ouch! That looks rather painful!

Check the penis for prolapse (cannot be retracted any more). It can happen on its own, but can also be caused semen rods and other things stuck in the shaft that prevent a retraction.
If there is pus, it will require an antibiotic.
A prolapsed penis should be seen by a vet and will require extra attention re. dirt/infection/injury.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Is your male intact or has he been neutered? My Donald has been left like this post neuter and it doesn't cause him any problems but I do have to take extra care to keep him clean down there. If it's not a post neuter issue then it looks like a prolapsed penis and I would be getting the vet to have a look

Update: My boy passed away a month after this post. We went to the vet to get him checked out and she told us that he had a kidney two times bigger than the other one. We tried our best, but it wasn’t sufficient.

I am very sorry! Please take consolation in that you did your best and have not failed your boy. Kidneys going wrong is not an area that can be treated in guinea pigs. :(

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section if you'd like.

Back