• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig "hamster" Ball Opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra West

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What do you think of the XXL hamster balls that petstores market for piggies? I personally think it's cruel to put any animal into a plastic ball without access for food or drink. What are your opinions? Do you like them? Do you use them for your piggies? I'd like to hear opinions on this. And before I get asked, I'd never put baby Finnian in a XXL hamster ball.... or any sized hamster ball for that matter.

I think it's another way for the pet shop to make money. Probably aimed at the newbie piggy owner who doesn't know any better. They make me so cross, how many piggies have hurt their backs in them. :hb:
I'm glad you wouldn't use them, Alexandra.
Petstores don't care about the well-being of the piggies... it's so sad that they claim to care about pets when they sell them things that can hurt them further.

It's simply awful the amount of products that are sold as suitable for piggies (or any other animal) when they're not and they can even cause severe injuries.
Obviously I'm completely against those plastic balls.
I am, too. Even when I was little I never got my hamsters (I had 4) a ball. Mostly I was scared they'd roll down the stairs or something out of a nightmare, but I'm really glad they never had one.

Absolutely terrible and can result in injury or death. Should be banned but unfortunately people are out to make a quick buck with very little education

I've never used them as I know it would terrify Oreo and even if I wanted to, they wouldn't have a big enough ball for a piggie! I've heard it can damage their backs as well, so is very dangerous. Some responsible Syrian hamster owners allow them ball time, but only if the hamster willingly climbs in and has short breaks and the option to get out every 5 minutes or so depending on hamster. In the breaks they will be offered food and water, but most Syrians have food in their pouches already. For example, I have a friend who's Syrian adores the ball. She won't get out of it most of the time and spends her evenings running around their house.

I would never use a ball for my dwarf hamster, Larry-Jasper though because his feet are so tiny and I am able to give him free-roaming time.

An absolute no from me. Why they are allowed to market them as safe for piggies is beyond me, so all we can do is educate people not to buy them in the first place or to not use them and destroy them if they have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back