• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Guinea Pig Talking When Cuddling

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Hello.

When I pick up my guinea pigs and it's cuddling time they are talking to themselves. Does anybody know what that means?
Also when I pick them up and stroke them they are vibrating and purring. I don't think that is good since they look annoyed. Always after I try to pick them up.
Also, does anybody know or have any practise to picking guinea pigs easier up?

Wiebke

Staff member
Hello.

When I pick up my guinea pigs and it's cuddling time they are talking to themselves. Does anybody know what that means?
Also when I pick them up and stroke them they are vibrating and purring. I don't think that is good since they look annoyed. Always after I try to pick them up.
Also, does anybody know or have any practise to picking guinea pigs easier up?
Hi and welcome

Here is our new owners guide collection with lots of information on picking up, handling and understanding guinea pigs, including a spot of guinea pig whispering. You may find it very helpful as we have combined answers to the most often asked questios with some important information that can help you prevent trouble in the longer run.
New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

It is good that your youngsters are talkative when handled, as that means that they are not frozen with fear and just what you want from them at this young age.

Any sharp low rumble is a "I don't like this".