• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Talking When Cuddling

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello.

When I pick up my guinea pigs and it's cuddling time they are talking to themselves. Does anybody know what that means?
Also when I pick them up and stroke them they are vibrating and purring. I don't think that is good since they look annoyed. Always after I try to pick them up.
Also, does anybody know or have any practise to picking guinea pigs easier up?

Hello.

When I pick up my guinea pigs and it's cuddling time they are talking to themselves. Does anybody know what that means?
Also when I pick them up and stroke them they are vibrating and purring. I don't think that is good since they look annoyed. Always after I try to pick them up.
Also, does anybody know or have any practise to picking guinea pigs easier up?

Hi and welcome

Here is our new owners guide collection with lots of information on picking up, handling and understanding guinea pigs, including a spot of guinea pig whispering. You may find it very helpful as we have combined answers to the most often asked questios with some important information that can help you prevent trouble in the longer run.
New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

It is good that your youngsters are talkative when handled, as that means that they are not frozen with fear and just what you want from them at this young age.

Any sharp low rumble is a "I don't like this".

Welcome to the forum.
I have a very chatty piggy - Jemimah.
If she’s awake she’s talking!
Mine rumble for all sorts of reasons and I’ve found that it’s about context. As you get to know your own piggies you learn to understand them.
A piggy who tell its slave what it likes or doesn’t like is a piggy who feels more confident and safe with you.
Mine rumble whenever cucumber appears - that one I know is pure pleasure

my guinea pigs do this all the time especially when i pet them but they will also do it when i eritate them so what does it mean or is it sometimes good and sometimes bad?
Welcome to the forum.
I have a very chatty piggy - Jemimah.
If she’s awake she’s talking!
Mine rumble for all sorts of reasons and I’ve found that it’s about context. As you get to know your own piggies you learn to understand them.
A piggy who tell its slave what it likes or doesn’t like is a piggy who feels more confident and safe with you.
Mine rumble whenever cucumber appears - that one I know is pure pleasure
Thank you both for your replies, it's always nice to learn something new and see how other guinea pig owners care for their piggies :wub:

Mine purrs when he’s stroked all the time and the other younger boar doesn’t make a sound he still just freezes a little, but he does take food off me. The older one gives me little kisses on my fingers/hand which is cute (he licks them) I’ve tried to get the same from the younger one but he tends to try and eat my finger and his teeth are sharp, but he’s never bit me he just nibbles. :love:

Mine purrs when he’s stroked all the time and the other younger boar doesn’t make a sound he still just freezes a little, but he does take food off me. The older one gives me little kisses on my fingers/hand which is cute (he licks them) I’ve tried to get the same from the younger one but he tends to try and eat my finger and his teeth are sharp, but he’s never bit me he just nibbles. :love:

wow, your piggies are just like mine! mine are the same! :love: every one is different and special :luv:

Back