• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Charlottibiscot

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I own two female guinea pigs, and my Abyssinian, who is 6 in May, displayed some concerning behaviour today.

She was layed down comfortably next to my other piggy, when suddenly she let out an annoyed squeak. I rushed over to check on her and saw that whilst she looked asleep, her eyes were rolling to the back of her head very quickly.

(It kinda looked like REM that you would see in humans, it was that kinda thing but with her eyes open.)

Anyways, I touched her lightly and she snapped out of it, lifted her head up and seemed totally fine. Was she sleeping or was she having some kind of seizure? It only lasted about 10 seconds and she was very responsive to my touch.

The other thing I was thinking is perhaps she has an ear infection, although if she does I can’t see it.

I will admit that they were running out of hay in their cage, and this happened just as I was about to replace it, so the clean hay wasn’t in their houses, maybe she didn’t eat enough and had a seizure?

I honestly don’t know though, I hope someone can shed some light on this, thank you very much :)

-Charlotte

So I own two female guinea pigs, and my Abyssinian, who is 6 in May, displayed some concerning behaviour today.

She was layed down comfortably next to my other piggy, when suddenly she let out an annoyed squeak. I rushed over to check on her and saw that whilst she looked asleep, her eyes were rolling to the back of her head very quickly.

(It kinda looked like REM that you would see in humans, it was that kinda thing but with her eyes open.)

Anyways, I touched her lightly and she snapped out of it, lifted her head up and seemed totally fine. Was she sleeping or was she having some kind of seizure? It only lasted about 10 seconds and she was very responsive to my touch.

The other thing I was thinking is perhaps she has an ear infection, although if she does I can’t see it.

I will admit that they were running out of hay in their cage, and this happened just as I was about to replace it, so the clean hay wasn’t in their houses, maybe she didn’t eat enough and had a seizure?

I honestly don’t know though, I hope someone can shed some light on this, thank you very much :)

-Charlotte

Hi! Just keep an eye on her for the next few days. Hopefully it is nothing. Right now there is nothing you can do nor is a vet liekly to find anything.

Guinea pigs do dream. I once watched a sleeping boar rumblestrutting in his sleep and waking him self up doing it.

If you are at all worried best to go to the vets for a check up. Keep a close eye on her, check she’s eating, pooping and moving around normally for her x

My old boars eyes used to flicker up and down in his sleep and he would also run in his sleep, i thought he was dying the first time

Pigs are known for sleeping with crazy eyes. I sometimes think they look like they're having terrible nightmares!
Here's my boy Jon (he sleeps like that all the time and he always looks like he's passed away until he's up and running a second later.
And crazy eyes Toki. His eyes were wild!

Attachments

• 20181028_151950.jpg
    20181028_151950.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170328_212659.jpg
    20170328_212659.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum
As has been said she may just have been dreaming.
I have one girl who twitches when she’s asleep which was worrying at first but I think she’s just dreaming.
If you are concerned then do go to a vet.
It is much better to be reassured nothing is wrong than leave a problem too late

My Dennis just completely switches off when he is asleep. He just stares and it looks very strange. The lights are on but nobody's home. He is the only one out of the 5 of them that sleeps like this.

My Daisy used to flicker her eyes when she was in a deep sleep. I was terrified the first time I saw it. Then researched it and got used to the fact she had crazy dreams!

Back