• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emilio's Mom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I recently have been planning to adopt a guinea from Petsmart. For those who don't know how this works, usually Petsmart will give up their pets for adoption for free, if they are no longer resell-able. The little ones may be ill or they were returned from previous owners. In my case, i called in and they have a little guy; however, the worker told me that hes allergic to hay. The symptoms she mentioned all seem to match a URI. Is it possible that he has a hay allergy? It sounds absurd to me and I've tried researching but i have found nothing. They have not given him to me due to him having to be checked off by a different manager. I just want to double check and make sure that when my piggy comes home, he wont infect my other one, while also giving him the proper care to help him get better. Thank you!
(Symptoms include irritated eyes with build up, as well as nose with build up and i believe she said sneezing too.)

if you go too a farmers depot look for horse grade quality bales.

Though just in case the pig already has an infection or has a different problem take him too the vet as soon as you can.

People who own horses are very picky about their hay because there is an illness that they can get from regular hay that is very common. So if you want the best for your pig look for horse grade.

If you do get him I'd suggest you get him a check up at a good guinea pig vet. It could be an allergy but it could be a misdiagnosed URI.

If you do get him I'd suggest you get him a check up at a good guinea pig vet. It could be an allergy but it could be a misdiagnosed URI.
Those were my exact thoughts. They mentioned that the store's vet had checked him out and that was what they concluded. I'm still skeptical. I did see the little one in store the day I called in, aside from a couple of eye boogers, he seemed normal.

He will need to be kept in a separate cage or room from your piggy for the first two to three weeks anyway. I would definitely go to a vet with piggy experience for a proper diagnosis. Also my vet recommended putting a bit of olbas oil on a tissue next to the cage (make sure he can't reach it and it's not to close as it may irritate his eyes) this will help clear his chest a bit and make his breathing easier however it will not in any way get rid of an infection only antibiotics could do that. Good luck with your new piggy!

I do agree though that low quality dusty hay could irratate his eyes and cause sneezing so if it isn't a uri just find him a good quality dust extracted hay and see if that helps. What bedding is he housed on? It could also be cause by low quality, dusty bedding.

I do agree though that low quality dusty hay could irratate his eyes and cause sneezing so if it isn't a uri just find him a good quality dust extracted hay and see if that helps. What bedding is he housed on? It could also be cause by low quality, dusty bedding.
I'm not aware of what he's being fed, all I was told were his symptoms, and that petsmart declared he's allergic. Thank you for the help! I'll definitely make those accommodations when the little one is brought home

An update in case anyone was wondering. I brought the little one home and i was not surprised to find that he had mites that petsmart hadn't treated. It does not surprise me. I immediately ran out and purchased some medicine that is specific to treat them. They gave me teramycin (i believe thats how its spelled) for his eyes. I'm going to treat both conditions thoroughly, at home, until i save up enough to take him to the vet. Noted: I am a high school student working part time and that is why i don't have enough money for his vet visit yet. I estimate that he will be able to go to the vet next week, when i get my full paycheck. He is quarantined and away from my other one until i can take him to the vet to make sure hes rid of the pests

Hi y'all, I recently have been planning to adopt a guinea from Petsmart. For those who don't know how this works, usually Petsmart will give up their pets for adoption for free, if they are no longer resell-able. The little ones may be ill or they were returned from previous owners. In my case, i called in and they have a little guy; however, the worker told me that hes allergic to hay. The symptoms she mentioned all seem to match a URI. Is it possible that he has a hay allergy? It sounds absurd to me and I've tried researching but i have found nothing. They have not given him to me due to him having to be checked off by a different manager. I just want to double check and make sure that when my piggy comes home, he wont infect my other one, while also giving him the proper care to help him get better. Thank you!
(Symptoms include irritated eyes with build up, as well as nose with build up and i believe she said sneezing too.)
An update in case anyone was wondering. I brought the little one home and i was not surprised to find that he had mites that petsmart hadn't treated. It does not surprise me. I immediately ran out and purchased some medicine that is specific to treat them. They gave me teramycin (i believe thats how its spelled) for his eyes. I'm going to treat both conditions thoroughly, at home, until i save up enough to take him to the vet. Noted: I am a high school student working part time and that is why i don't have enough money for his vet visit yet. I estimate that he will be able to go to the vet next week, when i get my full paycheck. He is quarantined and away from my other one until i can take him to the vet to make sure hes rid of the pests

Back