• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay- replaced

Yoav

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a question:
I bought 2 pounds of hay two weeks ago and put them in a cage.
There was plenty more left of him.
The question is, should it be replaced, or can it be left to them?
Thanks

yes you’ll have to replace it since they poop on it

Hey,
I have a question:
I bought 2 pounds of hay two weeks ago and put them in a cage.
There was plenty more left of him.
The question is, should it be replaced, or can it be left to them?
Thanks

You need to put fresh hay in to the cage every day.

how often?

Every single day. They need fresh hay put into their cage every day for them to eat. Any hay which is wet or has been pooped on needs to be removed every day as well.
2lbs is about 900g. 2lbs/900g of hay will only last about two days.
I use about 15-20kg (which when done on a conversation is about 33-44lbs of hay per month)

Last edited:
But that's their platform!
I can't change a bedding every day!

I put them one pound two weeks ago and they don't even come close to finishing it!

moment.
Hay A bed of hay for edible is the same hay yes?

I put them one pound two weeks ago and they don't even come close to finishing it!

You have misunderstood. The hay is used for eating and bedding. They won’t eat it all, but it needs to be replaced daily so that it is always fresh for them to eat and sleep on

You will need to use a lot more than 2lbs of hay in two weeks. 2lbs of hay is only enough for a couple of days. Remove wet hay, throw it away and give them fresh every day. Their cage will need to have the poop removed once or twice a day.

moment.
The hay bedding, you can't replace it
Just clean poop?

Wow!
That means tens of pounds of hay a week.
I really can't afford it, it's a lot of money.

Wow!
That means tens of pounds of hay a week.
I really can't afford it, it's a lot of money.

Yes, it means a lot of hay, its simply essential to them to have fresh hay every single day. I buy 44 pounds (20kg) of hay every month. It’s simply a part of piggy keeping.

Okay.
I don't have that option, and nobody in Israel feeds their pigs in the hay.
I at least give them hay to eat.
What I'll do is like this:
I'll take a newspaper and vamp the cage with him.
On the paper, I lay hay.
Once a week I will replace the entire substrate, and I will add some hay to the food every day.
The price of 45 kilos of hay is a quarter of a salary.

The prices you describe here are higher than dog costs in Israel.

Okay.
I don't have that option, and nobody in Israel feeds their pigs in the hay.
I at least give them hay to eat.
What I'll do is like this:
I'll take a newspaper and vamp the cage with him.
On the paper, I lay hay.
Once a week I will replace the entire substrate, and I will add some hay to the food every day.
The price of 45 kilos of hay is a quarter of a salary.

Every guinea pig needs to be fed a lot of hay, so if you are saying nobody in Israel feeds hay, then there will be a lot of guinea pigs with a lot of medical issues - hay is essential for their food, their gut health and their dental health

Yes, put newspaper on the bottom of the cage and put hay on top. Then the next day you need to remove any wet newspaper and wet hay and throw it away and put fresh newspaper and hay back in.

it costs me £50 of uk sterling, to buy hay each month and I use 20 kilos of hay each month for my two piggies. Some people may spend less, some people use washable beddings such as fleece and therefore can buy less hay and use it just for eating rather than as a bedding as well. Even with using an alternative bedding, two piggies will still need many kilos of hay each month just for food

This is the realities of piggy keeping, you will need a lot of hay, for bedding and eating, with fresh hay added in every day. don’t forget if your female is pregnant, then you will also need hay to feed to the babies as well

Last edited:
Back