• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Health Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atalia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would like to ask for tips and learn some information on health checks! (Poorly enough I was unaware of what it was until a couple weeks ago.) When I bought my pigs from a pet shop (unaware of rescues at the time) they did not tell me anything of their needs and requirements. So I went off of what google said about basic care. Anyhow I was wondering about what I should check and look for! Any information on this top will be so helpful!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Our guinea pigs are handled daily, but usually by the children, so I schedule an 'official' health check day once a week.
The pigs are weighed, and I check them over for any lumps, bumps, scratches, dry skin patches, etc.
I trim nails (if needed).
I spend about 5 mins focusing on each pig, and I also watch them eat a couple of things, to be certain they are eating properly.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It's great that you've found the forum, a wealth of great information to help you.
I do my main checks when I'm cleaning out, once a week.
  1. Nail trim
  2. Teeth check
  3. Check ears for any scabs etc.
  4. General overall check of fur
  5. Bum - check for impacted, boar glue etc.
I also weigh them...but most importantly I keep a Piggy diary. Date rescued, nail trimming, vet visits & treatments, baths, worm treatment date etc. Invaluable to be honest. You can't always remember everything.

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just give them a going over when I'm handling them (which I do daily)- coat, whether the nails are too long, whether eyes and ears look bright, and weigh once a week or so. I'm also lucky enough that I see them often throughout the day (I work from home) so I tend to spot 'off' behavior quicker than I would if I were at work during the day. One thing I do daily (since I have had a couple pigs with dental abscesses) is to run my hands along to jawline to feel for any lumps or bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.