• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hello and advice please on new baby with the runs :-(

Briggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I wish my first thread on here was more cheery but could do with some advice please. We got new babies on Tuesday afternoon (approx 9 weeks), one is a lot more confident & seems to have taken to life with us quicker. So much so he’s been gobbling up food and to be honest I think I’ve foolishly given them too much veg & fruit in my giddiness. He’s now got runny poo, I noticed this morning when I picked him up - it came out. And his evening again, just a tiny bit came out. I’ve checked the cage and there’s a lot of normal poo’s but there was a patch which looked like it was where runny poo had been done.
I feel awful and also worried :-(
So today all I’ve left are pellets and hay.
It’s hard to tell if he’s eating as they hide a lot but I’ll try doing some spying this evening.
I guess my question is - do you think I should be worried? How long would you leave it before taking him to a vet?
I’m so annoyed with myself as I think I’ve probably given too much new stuff too soon :-(

Thanks and look forward to some replies!

Ps last night I offered broccoli, coriander, cucumber, celery & a strawberry each

hello and welcome
It is exciting getting new piggies and we all know how easy it is to spoil them with lots of juicy veggies. It does sound like you have perhaps overdone it. Keep a very keen eye out, if the off it one looks at all out of sorts, lethargic, stops eating or pooping then get a prompt appointment at the vets. Hay is the main part of their diet to maintain healthy digestion and teeth, along with a little veg and a small amount of pellets. Have a look at this link in the Guinea Pig Guides (loads of info in there)

Diet Guides

Hi

I wish my first thread on here was more cheery but could do with some advice please. We got new babies on Tuesday afternoon (approx 9 weeks), one is a lot more confident & seems to have taken to life with us quicker. So much so he’s been gobbling up food and to be honest I think I’ve foolishly given them too much veg & fruit in my giddiness. He’s now got runny poo, I noticed this morning when I picked him up - it came out. And his evening again, just a tiny bit came out. I’ve checked the cage and there’s a lot of normal poo’s but there was a patch which looked like it was where runny poo had been done.
I feel awful and also worried :-(
So today all I’ve left are pellets and hay.
It’s hard to tell if he’s eating as they hide a lot but I’ll try doing some spying this evening.
I guess my question is - do you think I should be worried? How long would you leave it before taking him to a vet?
I’m so annoyed with myself as I think I’ve probably given too much new stuff too soon :-(

Thanks and look forward to some replies!

Ps last night I offered broccoli, coriander, cucumber, celery & a strawberry each

Hi!

I am sorry for your problem.

Please always see a vet with runny poos. You can reclaim the vet from the shop for not warning you about introducing veg slowly and gradually, no more than a small amount of a new veg with every meal to give their guts time to cope and to get accustomed. Babies with mothers who haven't had veg during nursing are not able to 'inoculate' the guts and cannot teach their babies what is safe to eat by letting them nibble from what they are eating and snatching food from her mouth - again first in small and then increasing amounts. :(
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

Take your piggies off any fresh veg until the poos have solidified again for 48 hours. Please be aware that over 80% of the daily food intake should be unlimited hay; veg and pellets are more in the way of a daily treat and are NOT the mainstay of the diet. So your piggies are not suffering from not eating hay. Grass and hay also contain vitamin C (which is why piggies have never had the need to make their own vitamin C).
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

PS: I am moving this thread to our specially mornitored Health/Illness section for ongoing support.

Thank you for your replies!
I’ll get him to the vets in the morning if he’s no better.
He’s from a rescue and she did say he’d had veg but on reflection I think I’ve overdone it.

It usually takes about 24 for it to pass through so hopefully he’ll be feeling a bit better. If still off it I’d pop along to the vets x

It usually takes about 24 for it to pass through so hopefully he’ll be feeling a bit better. If still off it I’d pop along to the vets x

Thank you! He seemed very bright and cheery this morning, chomping on hay and drinking. The only poo evidence I could find was more squishy rather than runny so I’m hoping it’s clearing up

Can I ask what would be the best veg to start him again once normal poo has resumed? Carrot? I feel for Rolo (his friend) as I’m not leaving any until he’s better as can’t guarantee just Rolo will eat it!

Thank you! He seemed very bright and cheery this morning, chomping on hay and drinking. The only poo evidence I could find was more squishy rather than runny so I’m hoping it’s clearing up

Can I ask what would be the best veg to start him again once normal poo has resumed? Carrot? I feel for Rolo (his friend) as I’m not leaving any until he’s better as can’t guarantee just Rolo will eat it!
Any veggies are ok as long as you give in very small amounts. A little grass or dandelion leaves, herbs too. Just give very small amounts. So glad he is feeling better, you could try him on a little bit of red/pepper, keep off any really juicy veg for a few more days. Carrot can be a bit flattening, so give only a couple of times a week x

Any veggies are ok as long as you give in very small amounts. A little grass or dandelion leaves, herbs too. Just give very small amounts. So glad he is feeling better, you could try him on a little bit of red/pepper, keep off any really juicy veg for a few more days. Carrot can be a bit flattening, so give only a couple of times a week x
Thank you!

Hi - just an update, we’ve still got mushy poo just not really runny. He’s drinking and eating hay but definitely has lost weight :-(
I spoke with a vet over the phone and they said to keep an eye but didn’t seem overly concerned when I said he was drinking & eating hay.
I haven’t dared anything else to eat - should we wait til the poo has returned to normal? If it’s still mushy tomorrow I’ll definitely get him seen on Monday as it’s so worrying! Especially when we’ve not even had him a week!
Thanks all for your comments x

Hi - just an update, we’ve still got mushy poo just not really runny. He’s drinking and eating hay but definitely has lost weight :-(
I spoke with a vet over the phone and they said to keep an eye but didn’t seem overly concerned when I said he was drinking & eating hay.
I haven’t dared anything else to eat - should we wait til the poo has returned to normal? If it’s still mushy tomorrow I’ll definitely get him seen on Monday as it’s so worrying! Especially when we’ve not even had him a week!
Thanks all for your comments x
If you live in the UK you may be able to claim veterinary expenses under the “damaged goods act” (so awful I know). Hope he’s alright, keep a note of his weight, weigh him at the same time each day, if no improvement make an appointment at the vets, hope he’s better soon x

Thank you! I’ve made an appointment for Monday then we’ve got it.
He’s from an adoption place and I’m sure there was something in the terms about not been able to claim vet expenses from them. Think I’ll drop her an email anyway as she did ask me to let her know how they were getting on. Just feel awful if it’s something we’ve done x

Hope all goes well on Monday.
We do have some forum members with experience in the responsibilities of pet shops or other sources of piggies who may be able to help.
@Lady Kelly ?

Hi

I did have a previous thread but thought I’d start a new one as it’s slightly different.

Rocky is 9 weeks approx, only got him last Tuesday and he started with the runs Thursday. He’s been eating hay and drinking but obviously worried we’ve seen a vet today (I had spoken to one on phone on Friday)

He wasn’t very positive about the outlook :-( but has given us antibiotics to try.
He’s also said put Pro C in their water.
I was advised to stop all veggies but he was surprised I wasn’t feeding them fresh grass? Do others with piggies off veggies?

I’m so sad about this - his friend Rolo seems fine so far so fingers crossed it’s not something he’ll pass on.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated

Thanks

Can o ask what is wrong with him please?

Give any probiotics separate to water by carefully syringe feeding it

I did both with the pro c. I syringed it to make sure it was given fresh, and still put it in 1 of 2 water bottles, just as a bonus,. I made sure one water bottle was normal water, just incase my pigs didn't like the flavour. But they loved it

Back