• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ems piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope you had a great weekend!
I'm new on the forum and th main reason I signed up was because of this issue. Recently one of my boars, Ollie, died I know this was because my Guinea pigs are housed outdoors in a huge hutch which was great when we got it in the summer months. However now, as you all know, it is February and the temperature is freezing! We couldn't leave my two year old Guinea pig, Sammy, on his own so we got another boar called Domino. He is still very young and small and we have had to separate them until they're bonded. However, Domino and Sammy are not dealing with the cold well and I'm so worried about them They just hide in their houses stuffed with hay all day and th y don't even know there's another Guinea pig in the same hutch!
Long story short I explained this to my dad and he was totally on board with me bringing them indoors however my mum was a different story. She got so angry and said "No way will I let you bring those rodents indoors, I don't like them they'll attract mice and fleas! There is no way they're going in your room that is very unhealthy!"
There is no budging her! I tried another tactic and made a letter with literally ALL the info in it and she just shouted at me! I really need help with this guys as I fear for my poor Guinea pigs! I also don't have a very good bond with them and they're completely terrified of me.
Sorry for writing so much but this is very important to me as they are my world and I want them to have the best lives possible.

I'm afraid you're going to make things worse if you antagonise your Mum .

I'm with you and your Dad - I think it's much better to have them indoors - particularly in the winter.

My OH won't let me have mine indoors - but my Guinea pigs are kept in a shed which has heating .

Do you think there is any way your Mum would agree to a trial period ?

I hope she can look on this forum, guinea pigs shouldn't be out in the winter (in the UK right now, it would be helpful if you could put your location on your profile so we know where you're from there abouts). Piggies don't deal with the cold as well as us, I wouldn't have my piggies outside in this weather. It would be like if we were homeless in winter. We need to think of it that way.

I can confirm that guinea pigs do not attract mice or fleas. Regular cleaning out (which is important for piggies anyway) will stop any smells etc so she has nothing to worry about. I really hope your mum changes her mind, if not maybe you should ask her to stay in a tent in the back garden for the night and see if she feels the same in the morning XD

I'm afraid you're going to make things worse if you antagonise your Mum .

I'm with you and your Dad - I think it's much better to have them indoors - particularly in the winter.

My OH won't let me have mine indoors - but my Guinea pigs are kept in a shed which has heating .

Do you think there is any way your Mum would agree to a trial period ?
Thank you for replying!
My dad and I did ask her for a trial period and she said no. However, this was when she was quite stressed out so maybe I could try when she in a better mood. :ple: I still don't think she'll say yes as she's very stubborn!:td: I just can't bare to think of them freezing cold outside on their own!

I hope she can look on this forum, guinea pigs shouldn't be out in the winter (in the UK right now, it would be helpful if you could put your location on your profile so we know where you're from there abouts). Piggies don't deal with the cold as well as us, I wouldn't have my piggies outside in this weather. [you]It would be like if we were homeless in winter.[/you] We need to think of it that way.

I can confirm that guinea pigs do not attract mice or fleas. Regular cleaning out (which is important for piggies anyway) will stop any smells etc so she has nothing to worry about. I really hope your mum changes her mind, if not maybe you should ask her to stay in a tent in the back garden for the night and see if she feels the same in the morning XD
Very true! I'm in Britain so the temperature really isn't suitable for the piggies right now. I just don't know how to persuade her!:soz: She won't listen to what I have to say and it's coming to the point when I'm considering reforming them but that will be my last resort!

Very true! I'm in Britain so the temperature really isn't suitable for the piggies right now. I just don't know how to persuade her!:soz: She won't listen to what I have to say and it's coming to the point when I'm considering reforming them but that will be my last resort!
Lol I meant re homing!

A lot of people recommend Snugglesafe heat pads - you warm them up in the mocrowave.

I know it's hard, honestly if it was my mum I would tell her to spend a night in a tent in the garden. If you think it's okay for piggies then it must be okay for you. I know it might make her cross but only because she knows you're right!

I can think of no other way to persuade her, if you've given her all the facts and she still won't budge.

Good luck! :hug:

It is possible to keep Guinea Pigs outdoors all year round (personally , I don't recommend it !)

Here is a good thread ...

Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Thank you for linking me to this! I will have a very good read of this! However, I am not going to nag her but I'm not going to stop trying as I really want to build a connection with them:luv:

I know it's hard, honestly if it was my mum I would tell her to spend a night in a tent in the garden. If you think it's okay for piggies then it must be okay for you. I know it might make her cross but only because she knows you're right!

I can think of no other way to persuade her, if you've given her all the facts and she still won't budge.

Good luck! :hug:
Lol! I actually did say to her if it's too cold for her then it's too cold for them! I just want my piggies to be happy and at the moment they definitely aren't :no:

Yeah - you need Mum on your side .

Just give them plenty of hay - and, if you can get some snugglesafe heat pads, that'll help too.

My plan is to build them a c&c cage and take it from there. Any places I could get cheap grids in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back