• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Livy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello
I normally do a body check at least once a week on my piggies to check for lumps etc. Unfortunately today I did find a small lump on my 5 year old piggies neck. It is around the size of a pea and is free moving. I called the vet and got an appointment same day. She was diagnosed with having inflamed lymph nodes. Currently I am giving antibiotics and going back in 10 days to see how everything is going. My question is if anybody else has experience with this. Did antibiotics help your piggy? Is there anything else I can do to help her asides from keeping fresh bedding and checking to ensure she is still eating, drinking, etc.? I’d hate for this to come down to surgery. I’m a worried pig mom. Any advice or sharing experience is helpful. Thank you so much

I would also like to note that although she has the lump she is very active, happy, healthy and has not lost any weight. It does not seem to be bothering her at all.

Hello
I normally do a body check at least once a week on my piggies to check for lumps etc. Unfortunately today I did find a small lump on my 5 year old piggies neck. It is around the size of a pea and is free moving. I called the vet and got an appointment same day. She was diagnosed with having inflamed lymph nodes. Currently I am giving antibiotics and going back in 10 days to see how everything is going. My question is if anybody else has experience with this. Did antibiotics help your piggy? Is there anything else I can do to help her asides from keeping fresh bedding and checking to ensure she is still eating, drinking, etc.? I’d hate for this to come down to surgery. I’m a worried pig mom. Any advice or sharing experience is helpful. Thank you so much

Hi!

Fingers firmly crossed that it is just a minor infection and that you have caught it early.

All you can do is care as normal and monitor the weight more closely than the regular once weekly weigh-in. If you do that, please weigh always at the same time in the feeding cycle like before you give the dinner in order to minimise the normal up and down during day, which is about 30-40g (ca. 1 oz).
Over 80% of the daily food intake is hay which cannot be controlled any other way, but with is usually the first food group that is impacted if your piggy is starting to feel unwell.
You may want to give a pinch of probiotic either 1 hour before (US recommendation) or 1-2 hours after (UK recommendation) you give the antibiotic if you feel that that helps to bolster the guts.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

If you notice the lump getting bigger or other lymph nodes swelling up despite the antibiotic, please see your vet promptly for lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes).

Please use this thread for any questions and updates so we can refer back as to what has happened before and can keep any repeated and confusing advice to a minimum. You can set your own alerts via the 'watch' option at the start of this thread.

Since we have members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and then down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply, and I have updated my location. I give a probiotic normally 1 hour after I give the antibiotic. Unfortunately I checked the lump moments ago and it seems to have gotten a bit bigger 😞 Still eating normal and everything, I give unlimited hay and fortunately it’s all my piggies favorite thing to eat, so if they stop I really know something is up.

I am sorry about the swollen lymph node :( If the antibiotics don’t help or you find anymore lumps on the lymph nodes including in the dew lap, I suggest that you ask your vet to perform a fine needle biopsy on the lump to check for lymphoma :( I’m not saying that your piggy has lymphoma but it is something to consider

Back