• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing two bonded younger males to my older boar?

anduhreah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! i really REALLY need some help!

just recently, one of my two 4 year old male pigs passed away. out of the two, he was unfortunately always the one struggling with health problems and i think we all knew his time was coming soon. we’ve decided to cremate him and we miss him very much.

the two older pigs were bonded so they got along with no trouble, but since one passed away, we’ve decided to introduce two younger (bonded) male boars to the remaining older pig. The two younger pigs are about 1 year and 3 months old, my older pig is just hitting the 4 year mark. the pig that passed away was the dominant pig out of the two.

they’re housed in cages next to each other, and i know this was a mistake on my part but we’ve already tried to “introduce” them on 3 different occasions now. each of them ending with lots of fighting (no injuries just lots of whining, squealing, chasing and aggressive humping)

i really need some advice on how to go about this because the two younger boars are very skittish and are hard to handle. i can see that this is stressing the older boar out. one example is we took them to a neutral area for about an hour and a half (all filled with rumbling and everything i mentioned before) and then we put all 3 pigs in our older pig’s cage (a 2x5 c&c cage) it seemed to be fine for a few minutes until the older board tried to go to a house and sleep. the two other pigs kept bugging him and on multiple occasions i can see them tag team him (this is when i’ll usually separate them)

again i really need help as this is stressing me and the pigs out. we just adopted the two younger pigs and it got so stressful yesterday that i considered returning them to the adoption shelter, obviously i quickly stopped thinking about that and figured i should make an account and ask on here.

i’ll attach some photos of the two younger pigs (together) and the one older pig

B357DC33-CEA2-4863-8482-DBC47A76942F.jpeg5DED0833-9299-4AEB-A331-2BB0CFCC00C2.png

Hi and welcome to the forum. What you have seen when you've tried to introduce your piggies is perfectly normal dominance. It looks rough and cruel to us, but they know what's going on.
With boars, every time you put them together they have to start all over again, so you have to let them work it out. As long as they don't actually fight or draw blood.... It's fine believe it or not.
That said, a trio of boars is not likely to work out, particularly where youngsters are involved, as they go through a 'teenage' phase from about 4 to 14 months, when their hormones are at an all time high. You need to think very seriously if you want to go through with it, or just keep them side by side.
Some trios Do work though, although it is a very small number. I have a trio of boars myself, but they bicker a lot more than my pair.
Here are some posts you will find really useful.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonds In Trouble

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Good luck x

I wouldn’t risk it, unless you don’t mind ending up with three separate pigs. Is there any chance of getting the four year old a mate from the rescue? You could take him dating, if they offer that service. Alternatively you put them side by side so they can interact through the bars.

As an aside, if you’re putting them back in the cage it has to be completely free of any smells. Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum. What you have seen when you've tried to introduce your piggies is perfectly normal dominance. It looks rough and cruel to us, but they know what's going on.
With boars, every time you put them together they have to start all over again, so you have to let them work it out. As long as they don't actually fight or draw blood.... It's fine believe it or not.
That said, a trio of boars is not likely to work out, particularly where youngsters are involved, as they go through a 'teenage' phase from about 4 to 14 months, when their hormones are at an all time high. You need to think very seriously if you want to go through with it, or just keep them side by side.
Some trios Do work though, although it is a very small number. I have a trio of boars myself, but they bicker a lot more than my pair.
Here are some posts you will find really useful.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonds In Trouble

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Good luck x
do you think it would be worth trying to bond one of the younger boars to the older boar and then eventually introducing the last younger boar?

HI and welcome to the forum, Reenie has give you some excellent information above and unfortunately we have seen so many people try to bond trios of boars and very rarely does this work out well. Worst case scenario is that you could end up with three boars all who refuse to live with any of the others so if your younger pair are well bonded then I would personally leave them as a pair rather than risk splitting them up.

You risk breaking the bond that the pair have by introducing another boar. As said above by Reenie and Lady kelly, anything more than two boars together rarely works.

Why do you seem so keen on wanting to put them through potential injury and possibly having to live separately (but next to each other)?

Also, pigs don’t do play dates. So don’t put them all together then separate at ‘bedtime’.

The 3 month old is soon to hit his teenage years. That in itself could cause trouble with his bonded mate. You don’t want to make that worse by adding in another pig.

As I said, I’d leave the bonded pair together and see about getting tour four year old a mate. If there’s a rescue nearby that does dating, you could go down that route.

I hope my post doesn’t come across as rude (I’m sorry if yes), but it’s not in the best interest of the boys to have them all together.

PS 2x5 is a good space for two boars, you’d need more for 3.

do you think it would be worth trying to bond one of the younger boars to the older boar and then eventually introducing the last younger boar?

Honestly, I think my best advice would be - don't. Boar trios are notoriously difficult to get right, and it isn't even something you can control, it's entirely down to their personalities. Even a working trio is stressful. I have linked a post I did a few weeks ago, when mine got a bit heated again (they have been together since birth, and are now 2 yrs old, so as securely bonded as they will ever be). This is not a particularly rare occurrence, and is pretty feisty. Even if your three were to bond successfully you would have behaviour probably much worse than this - and potentially a complete fall out between all three. I would never recommend putting three boars together if it can be avoided - my best advice would be getting a fourth and having two pairs. (Mine came about due to a failed bonding with another boar - there were supposed to be two pairs) Obviously the decision is entirely yours, and you could be lucky, but the risk is high.

Spoke too soon

I agree with Siikibam you really don't want to break the bond the 2 boys have. Take the older one to bonded with another, you really need to have them in separate cages though.

thanks for the replies. my dilemma is my mom wasn’t fully supportive of getting two more pigs after one passed and i don’t think we’d be able to get another one. ahhhh.

Is there any way you could have their cages next to each other so he can interact with the pair through the bars? Best in mind you can’t put them together for floor time.

Is there any way you could have their cages next to each other so he can interact with the pair through the bars? Best in mind you can’t put them together for floor time.
yup they’re next to each other right now. they’ve been like that for about a week.

You’ve had the benefit of excellent advice here. Really would not recommend putting them together again for any time at all. You are best keeping them as a pair and a solo side by side for company.

yup they’re next to each other right now. they’ve been like that for about a week.
Then I think the older boar will be ok. Also make sure the pair has enough space. You don’t want them falling out. Good luck and enjoy 😉

Then I think the older boar will be ok. Also make sure the pair has enough space. You don’t want them falling out. Good luck and enjoy 😉
i have a 2x5 c&c cage for the older boar, if i cleaned that all out and put the pair in there, would it be advisable to get another smaller c&c cage (2x3?) sorry for all the questions! i'm just trying to plan how i’m going to lay this out

Back