• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ivermectin - Which One To Buy?

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wanted to buy Ivermectin for a while now for my guinea pigs. I just got a new one and it looks like she has dry skin and therefore mites probably. I want to buy Ivermectin from Ebay. Can somebody send me a link to what I should look for or which one is recommended?

I wanted to buy Ivermectin for a while now for my guinea pigs. I just got a new one and it looks like she has dry skin and therefore mites probably. I want to buy Ivermectin from Ebay. Can somebody send me a link to what I should look for or which one is recommended?

Please see a vet for a diagnosis and do not treat on spec.
Do you have bald patches and increased itching? And if yes, where are those patches?

Please do not treat on spec without a diagnosis. Dry skin can be just dry skin (especially when your radiator is on full strength during cold weather), it can be a fungal skin infection or either mange or hay mites; they all need different treatment.

Please get a vet to diagnose the condition & recommend the right treatment for your piggies.

@Wiebke @VickiA The new one (I just got her) does not have any bald patches. I just think she has dry skin. I read that coconut oil is a great way to treat it. Our vet is not ok. They are useless. And yes I have the radiator on and it's dry in the room. I have the windows open a little and the radiator is off in the night. But still it's a bit dry yes. Do you think that's the problem?
@sport_billy yes I am :)

@Wiebke @VickiA The new one (I just got her) does not have any bald patches. I just think she has dry skin. I read that coconut oil is a great way to treat it. Our vet is not ok. They are useless. And yes I have the radiator on and it's dry in the room. I have the windows open a little and the radiator is off in the night. But still it's a bit dry yes. Do you think that's the problem?
@sport_billy yes I am :)

Please place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage and refill from time to time. If that is helping, then you may want to get a humidifier.

It is worth noting that new pet shop or breeder piggies tend to suffer more from ringworm (a fungal infection) than mites, which requires very different treatment. As long as you do not have any bald patches (whether fungal or mites - and there are differences), you are NOT dealing with a diagnosable outbreak.

Any home cures will not work and can make things worse. One of my adopted piggies is a surrender because of wrongly applied home treatment on spec; it got so bad that the first vet wanted to pts; the second vet brokered the surrender to a local sanctuary to ensure that the poor guy would get the treatment and knowledgeable care he needed to save his life.

Please only treat once you are sure what you are up against!

If you are in a different country than the UK, please add it to your details. Our default advice is for the UK; we are legally not allowed to diagnose or treat. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

Please place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage and refill from time to time. If that is helping, then you may want to get a humidifier.

It is worth noting that new pet shop or breeder piggies tend to suffer more from ringworm (a fungal infection) than mites, which requires very different treatment. As long as you do not have any bald patches (whether fungal or mites - and there are differences), you are NOT dealing with a diagnosable outbreak.

Any home cures will not work and can make things worse. One of my adopted piggies is a surrender because of wrongly applied home treatment on spec; it got so bad that the first vet wanted to pts; the second vet brokered the surrender to a local sanctuary to ensure that the poor guy would get the treatment and knowledgeable care he needed to save his life.

Please only treat once you are sure what you are up against!

If you are in a different country than the UK, please add it to your details. Our default advice is for the UK; we are legally not allowed to diagnose or treat. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/
Thank you very much for your help! I really like this forum, you all are so helpful. So I shouldn't try to rub a little coconut oil on my piggies? Could it harm them?
I'm sorry for your piggie, I hope he is okay now. I don't know what you mean by surrender but I hope that the treatment worked.

Thank you very much for your help! I really like this forum, you all are so helpful. So I shouldn't try to rub a little coconut oil on my piggies? Could it harm them?
I'm sorry for your piggie, I hope he is okay now. I don't know what you mean by surrender but I hope that the treatment worked.

If it is the very beginnings or mites or ringworm, it can make a diagnosis a lot more difficult (nor is it helpful for either issue) - it is like wiping a crime scene. ;)

If it is the very beginnings or mites or ringworm, it can make a diagnosis a lot more difficult (nor is it helpful for either issue) - it is like wiping a crime scene. ;)
Thank you very much for your help! I'll do as you say :luv:

Back