• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

court29x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for opinions as my guinea pig Bean has got a lump on the bottom of her back just above her bum. When I touch it she moves away but doesnt squeal. She’s eating and drinking fine, I only found the lump last night and ever since then she’s been very feisty with my other Guinea pig Noodle, she keeps slightly mounting her and Noodle squeals and tries to run away. I’ve had noodle out for a bit to try and calm bean, I just wondered if this behaviour was due to this lump Bean may have? If I have to I will try and separate them, and I’m going to take Bean to the vet on the weekend, but because she is still eating and drinking and pooping fine I’m not overly worried as I know that guinea pigs can get benign cysts. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost for me to get her checked out? Thank you xx

Good that you are taken her to the vets. I doubt very much that the mounting is due to the lump but Bean is obviously in discomfort from the lump if she moves away when you touch it.

It could be anything from a harmless fatty lump, to benign cysts to an abscess to something mor sinister but only a vet can diagnose and suggest appropriate treatment.

As for cost, it all depends on the vet and where you are located. My vet charges around £20 for a consultation and then treatment is added on top

The two things - the lump and the mounting - are unlikely to be connected. Mounting is normal dominance behaviour. Female guinea pigs mount other pigs when they are coming into season. Squealing is a normal response - it’s a response of submission. Absolutely no need for you to separate them or try to calm one down.
Definitely get the lump checked by a vet. We couldn’t answer how much it will cost as the cost will depend on your vet’s charges (and vets charges can vary) and it also depends on the diagnosis. A consultation fee at my vet is around £35
I hope the lump turns out to be nothing to worry about.

The two things - the lump and the mounting - are unlikely to be connected. Mounting is normal dominance behaviour. Female guinea pigs mount other pigs when they are coming into season. Squealing is a normal response - it’s a response of submission. Absolutely no need for you to separate them or try to calm one down.
Definitely get the lump checked by a vet. We couldn’t answer how much it will cost as the cost will depend on your vet’s charges (and vets charges can vary) and it also depends on the diagnosis. A consultation fee at my vet is around £35
I hope the lump turns out to be nothing to worry about.
Okay thank you for your help, I won’t separate them I was just worried of noodle getting hurt. I will call up my vet now and get some advice on the lump, other than that her behaviour is completely normal and she is playing, eating drinking and going to the toilet regularly. I was worried it could be a bite from something but they are indoors so I’m not sure what it could be off if it is a bite?

Mites or fungal infections usually present as bald patches, itching and dry flaky patches of skin. A bite or scratch from another piggy would usually present as a scratch or small open wound.
Lumps need to be checked out as they can be caused a few different things and only a vet is going to be able to properly diagnose

Mites or fungal infections usually present as bald patches, itching and dry flaky patches of skin. A bite or scratch from another piggy would usually present as a scratch or small open wound.
Lumps need to be checked out as they can be caused a few different things and only a vet is going to be able to properly diagnose
Ahh right okay. Well I will keep a close eye on her and the lump and a trip to the vets I think. Thanks!

Back