• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsayl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All,
A few weeks ago I noticed two wee lumps on my pigs belly. They didn't seem to be bothering him at all and I thought I would wait a little while to see if his behaviour changed or if they grew in size before making an appointment at the vets. However, after looking on here I have seen a few posts about lymphoma being common in pigs. I was worried to begin with and now I am worrying even more. I have an exam in the morning but now I can't sleep from worrying about it and feel like a terrible pig owner for not taking him to the vet before now. I plan on making an appointment in the morning and trying to get it scheduled hopefully for tomorrow afternoon. I am terrified it's going to be something serious.
The lumps can be moved around under the skin and feel pretty close to the surface although they are not visible through the fur. They don't feel dead squishy but do possibly feel like they may be filled with fluid. They sort of feel that firm but squishy way that a large spot under the skin would feel like for us. He doesn't seem bothered when I touch them, in fact it just seems he's bothered that I am poking around his belly which is normal because he doesn't like having his wee belly touched.
Can anyone shed some light on this as I am out of my mind with worry? I have been periodically checking them and they have not changed in size. They seemed to just appear out of nowhere a few weeks ago.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Are they near his nipples? If they are just under the skin they are more than likely just cysts or lipomas. Non oozing, painless lumps that remain the same are not an emergency, but worth a check over by the vet.

I wouldnt worry, concentrate on your exam and have him seen after that x

Ones near his arm pit at the top of his belly and his other is near his hind leg, diagonal from the first.
I'm currently trying to take my mind off it a bit by prepping exam notes but I feel absolutely terrible and I am so so worried.
I think I just feel guilty as I am usually very very vigilant with anything out of the ordinary. At one point I am sure the vet was fed up of seeing me because I was paranoid about anything out of the ordinary so would just take him straight to the vet.
Thank you for your response, hopefully it's what you think it is x

Out of curiosity, have a feel at his glands under his chin at either side of the neck (where our glands are). You shouldnt really be able to feel them, but you will if they are 'up'. X

Just had a feel and I can't really tell. Right in at his neck feels totally normal but a wee bit further down theres a bit that could be part of the top of his shoulder or could be glands, this is on both sides x

If its above his shoulders and rock hard then it will just be shoulder bones! Just wanted you to check his glands as the other lumps could have also been inflammed glands because of where they are- if his glands where up under his chin, you would have felt them.

These are probably just cysts but worth a vet check- I'm sure he will be fine until after your exam x

Hi All,
A few weeks ago I noticed two wee lumps on my pigs belly. They didn't seem to be bothering him at all and I thought I would wait a little while to see if his behaviour changed or if they grew in size before making an appointment at the vets. However, after looking on here I have seen a few posts about lymphoma being common in pigs. I was worried to begin with and now I am worrying even more. I have an exam in the morning but now I can't sleep from worrying about it and feel like a terrible pig owner for not taking him to the vet before now. I plan on making an appointment in the morning and trying to get it scheduled hopefully for tomorrow afternoon. I am terrified it's going to be something serious.
The lumps can be moved around under the skin and feel pretty close to the surface although they are not visible through the fur. They don't feel dead squishy but do possibly feel like they may be filled with fluid. They sort of feel that firm but squishy way that a large spot under the skin would feel like for us. He doesn't seem bothered when I touch them, in fact it just seems he's bothered that I am poking around his belly which is normal because he doesn't like having his wee belly touched.
Can anyone shed some light on this as I am out of my mind with worry? I have been periodically checking them and they have not changed in size. They seemed to just appear out of nowhere a few weeks ago.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

If the lumps are near or underneath nipples, they could be mammary tumors, but if not, they are most likely fatty lumps (lipoma) and harmless; several can appear quite suddenly at once. Some older piggies can be prone to them and can develop quite a number, often on their belly. Lymphoma manifests as lumps where the lymphs nodes are, i.e. armpits, neck etc., so that sounds less likely. The other more likely variety is a cyst of some sort; again, the majority of them are benign.

As with any lumps, please have them seen by a vet; only he can give you a proper diagnosis. The majority of lumps and bumps in older piggies are harmless and can be left under observation, so I would not panic yet. You are bound to hear more of the other sort online and on forums because they cause more of a stir. ;)

Just back from the vet and I am absolutely heartbroken as he says its most likely lymphoma. I've not stopped crying since I left the vet. He's going for a biopsy on friday and having it done with the needle as I didn't want Albert operated on properly if it's not needed as I know he'd be miserable all stitched up etc.
Question - The vet appeared to think it was most likely lymphoma due him having swollen glands at the neck and in one armpit near the first lump, the second lump near his hind leg has no swollen glands near it. Is it possible that him being poorly with bloat over the weekend could have caused these swollen glands?

Thank you everyone for all you help x

also one lump is near his armpit but not actually in it. Both lumps are on the belly, he's none in his neck etc x

I am very sorry that your vet suspects lymphoma.

I've had two piggies with lymphoma. Ena had one huge tumour in her armpit and a few on her belly.

Erika had four symmetrical tumours in both her armpits and hind legs. They quickly grew and spread to her dewlap.

The tumours felt hard and were attached to the lymph nodes.

Sadly, it will be an agonising wait for the biopsy results to come back but apart from sending one of the tumours away for testing, a fine needle biopsy is the only way to diagnose lymphoma.

Ena was diagnosed through a tumour being removed and Erika from a fine needle biopsy.

My vet suspected lymphoma on both occasions but I wanted to know for sure.

I am thinking of you and preying for a negative result of lymphoma but if it does come back as a positive result, we are here to support you xx

I am so sorry your vet suspects lymphoma! Lumps and bumps are common in ageing piggies, rarely lymphoma but it can happen.

Your vet is leaning towards this at the moment due to the fact the actual nodes themselves are 'up' as well as nearby lumps. Lymph nodes can be inflammed due to infection or cancer, which your vet will be able to differentiate between.

Even if you had felt his lymph nodes under the chin and taken him in 24 hours sooner, the diagnosis wouldnt be different so please dont feel guilty for focusing on your exam.

There are a couple of members on her that have/had piggies with lymphoma, and I'm sure they will be on soon to better advise you.

If it is bad news, making him comfortable would be your aim. Its heartbreaking, I'm going through it just now as have many others.. But we love them, so we do it. Only you as his mummy will know whats best for him. The fact the only problem hes shown so far is the lumps themselves is good- hes obviously still happy in himself.

There is still hope yet, and i will keep you both in my thoughts xx

I am very sorry for the diagnosis. Several swollen lymph nodes argue for it, unfortunately, but you will only know after you get the results back. :(

Please keep in mind that despite the initial shock, lymphoma is not an immediate death. Make sure that you enjoy your time with your piggy; love and precious moments are not bound by time - you can pack a lifetime of them into a very short space of time. It is the quality that counts, not the quantity. ;)

We are certainly seeing a sudden rise in lymphoma in the last few years. :(

:( I am very sorry to hear that your little boy possibly has Lymphoma. I lost my Maya to this disease last January. It is not recommended on here, but my girl was treated with steroid tablets. They can have some devastating side-effects, and they lower the immune system. But they kept Maya going for nearly nine weeks. The only side-effect that she got was an increase in appetite! Though she did lose a third of her body weight. It might be something to discuss with your Vet. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for everyones messages and support.
He had his biopsy on friday and I am waiting on the results. Over the phone the vet said that one lump had had bloody tissue come out but that was all he said when I spoke to him on friday. Fingers crossed it's not lymphoma. I'm trying to stay positive as he is still eating, drinking and behaving as normal x

Can I ask a question though,
my vet has said that if it is lymphoma that there would be no point in removing any lumps as it wouldn't help or slow anything down, is this correct? x

Can I ask a question though,
my vet has said that if it is lymphoma that there would be no point in removing any lumps as it wouldn't help or slow anything down, is this correct? x

Sadly yes, I believe this is correct.

My Ena had a lump removed and it was that lump that revealed she had lymphoma. Due to lymphoma being a blood cancer, the wound didn't heal and we sadly had to have her pts the day we were given the lymphoma diagnosis as she pulled all her stitches out which revealed the wound wasn't able to heal.

In some cases, removing lymphoma lumps can even speed the cancer up which we believed happened with Ena :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back