• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megannah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I've literally just noticed my1 year old male pig franklins eye is very bad, he has a long fringe that dangles in front of one eye so I couldn't see it but when I picked him up to stroke him i noticed his eye was half closed and he couldn't open it I gently had a look at it and it looks like a lump on the lower eye lid and his eye is receding in and there is some discharge, the other is bright and normal and he is eating and drinking complete fine, all the vets are closed and I'm so scared I dunno what to do or if he will be okay though the night it looks really sore :( please help!:(

He needs to go to the vet as soon as you can. Unfortunately emergencies usually happen on a weekend when they're closed so you have to go to the emergency vet.

He could have a piece of hay in his eye, which will be very painful.

Hope he's okay, please let us know.

Please get him seen by a vet as soon as possible. Not sure where you are based, but please see if there is an emergency vet service near to you or if there is a Vets for Pets in a P@H store near you. Eyes deteriorate very quickly and your little man will definitely be in pain. Please get him to a vet quickly.

ThAnkyou for the advice, but it's a Sunday and I won't be able to get him to a vet until at least gone 5 , I don't drive and all the vets shut at 4:(

ThAnkyou for the advice, but it's a Sunday and I won't be able to get him to a vet until at least gone 5 , I don't drive and all the vets shut at 4:(
If you call your local vet then there will be an answer phone message telling you who to call for 24 hours emergency appointments.
Please try this.
An injured eye can be very painful, but if treated appropriately and quickly then it can also heal well.
But if left too long it might not be possible to save the eye, and then things become more complicated (and expensive).
Is it possible to get a taxi to a vet before they close?
Or call and ask a friend to drive you?

I just this morning had the same issue with Hettie. It cost me £138 at the emergency vet so probably the price you will be looking at, unfortunately.

Painkillers will be especially important, Hettie had an injection at the vets and we have come home with Metacam also.

I managed to get franklin to the vet and he had a big peice of hay stuck in his eye which triggered him to have a large eye ulcer:( he's going to be fine though now, just on some eye drops and medicine, ThAnkyou for all the help:)

I'm so glad you managed to get him to the vet. I bet that was very sore for him. Piggies have a lovely knack of getting hay pokes and vets are good at finding them and treating them. I hope he soon feels much better. (And I hope that your wallet survives the assault made by emergency vets fees).

How about a picture of the little chap at some point (we love piggy photos on here as you might have seen!

ThAnkyou everyone, he's been very brave:)

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

I am so pleased you managed to get him to the vet.
Well done, because I know it isn't always easy.
And your guinea pigs are gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back