• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggy isn't eating hay and he has mites

cola.thepig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, i am new in this forum. And english isn't my first language so if i make any mistakes please excuse me! 🥲
I had 2 guinea pigs, and one of them (his name was Chips) sadly passed away recently. And Cola (8 months, male) is still with us. I took him to vet after his mate passed away. The vet examined him and everything was okay -hiss teeth, heart, lungs etc. everything is fine- except he had mites. We believe Chips died from mites too. (his immune system was very weak from birth. i also took him to another vet for examining when i figured out something wasnt right with him but they told me he was fine and there was nothing. appearantly, he wasnt 'fine'. i truly, deeply regret that i didnt got him to another vet but since the one i took him to looked very professional and had high ratings i believed the vet.) Now, Cola got a parasyte vaccine and a mite drop -ivermectin- yesterday and vet said he will be okay and we will take him to vet once a week to see how the treatment is going. this vet was really good i think...
so now Cola is very active, stopped itching and looks overall happier. He is eating his pellets. But he isnt eating hay as much. In fact he is eating close to nothing. I changed the brand of hay, checked the hay and its good. But he isnt eating! I gave him cucumber for his veggies lately so i guess thats why he drinks less water but he still drinks water. But.. isnt eating hay and I'm worried. Maybe its bc of the mites? or the fact that he is alone right now? Anyone expreinced something like this?
Thanks a lot.

I’m sorry for your loss

Ivermectin needs to be given at the correct dose and in the correct length course for the product to fully cure the issue.
Do you know if he has mange mites or hay mites?

Ensure you also disinfect the cage. The guide below explains dealing with parasites a bit further.

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

The diet for a guinea pig is unlimited amounts of hay, one cup of vegetables and just one tablespoon of plain pellets per day.
Ensure you the over feeding pellets as that can stop them eating hay.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Ensure you are weighing Cola regularly - that is once a week while he is well switching to once a day when you have health concerns. This the only way to monitor hay intake accurately.
If he isn’t eating hay, then he is likely to lose weight and you are going to need to step in and syringe feed him a recovery feed or mushed pellets.

This guide explains

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Weight - Monitoring and Management

This guide explains how to help look after a bereaved piggy until you can get him a new friend

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

I’m sorry for your loss

Ivermectin needs to be given at the correct dose and in the correct length course for the product to fully cure the issue.
Do you know if he has mange mites or hay mites?

Ensure you also disinfect the cage. The guide below explains dealing with parasites a bit further.

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

The diet for a guinea pig is unlimited amounts of hay, one cup of vegetables and just one tablespoon of plain pellets per day.
Ensure you the over feeding pellets as that can stop them eating hay.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Ensure you are weighing Cola regularly - that is once a week while he is well switching to once a day when you have health concerns. This the only way to monitor hay intake accurately.
If he isn’t eating hay, then he is likely to lose weight and you are going to need to step in and syringe feed him a recovery feed or mushed pellets.

This guide explains

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Weight - Monitoring and Management

This guide explains how to help look after a bereaved piggy until you can get him a new friend

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
thanks so much, i am going to look into these right now. i guess i may have gave him a little more pellets for the last two days. i am not sure about the mite types but he was just scratching a lot before the ivermectin and now stopped so i guess its working? thanks again!

I obviously can’t say with any certainty as I don’t know what product has been used but with the product we use here, it will work over a couple of days.
However because it only kills live mites not eggs, they have to have three doses in total. Further eggs will hatch which will then require the second treatment to kill then and then the third treatment to kill any stragglers.
I see you have said he has had an injection as well though which isn’t something common here.

Yes yes he will get 3 doses of it. He got the first two days ago and the rest doses will be done with one week apart.

I believe the injection is for 'prevention of internal parasites'? perhaps i am badly translating it or its not common abroad :/
I obviously can’t say with any certainty as I don’t know what product has been used but with the product we use here, it will work over a couple of days.
However because it only kills live mites not eggs, they have to have three doses in total. Further eggs will hatch which will then require the second treatment to kill then and then the third treatment to kill any stragglers.
I see you have said he has had an injection as well though which isn’t something common here.

Yes yes he will get 3 doses of it. He got the first two days ago and the rest doses will be done with one week apart.

I believe the injection is for 'prevention of internal parasites'? perhaps i am badly translating it or its not common abroad :/

I see - worms/internal parasites are not an issue in this country.

You are obviously a very caring owner and your English is wonderful, as said if you weigh him every morning you will know if he is eating enough but if in any doubt give your vet a call. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes. 💐

You are obviously a very caring owner and your English is wonderful, as said if you weigh him every morning you will know if he is eating enough but if in any doubt give your vet a call. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes. 💐
thanks, i will do that and let you guys know! thanks for all the kind replies 🥲❤️

Welcome to the forum. Well done for getting proper care for your guinea pig. Do you have any pictures of him?

this is Cola! i literally took this photo 5 seconds ago. he looks scary because of my phone's flash :')

Attachments

• resim_2024-05-04_234455012.png
    resim_2024-05-04_234455012.png
    568.6 KB · Views: 1
He's gorgeous ❤️
Here are my boys. Black and white is Dignified Sir George and his companion is Mischievous Master Boris.IMG-20240427-WA0000 (1).jpgP.S. I love Turkey

Back