• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Ive used our nail cutter in the past to cut the boys’ nails but I’m not too happy with the way it works. I did a search and found some use clippers. I’m wondering if this is the correct one?
Secondly, they seem to shed a lot - in finding hairs in the bathroom and on my bedside table, and other random places! :yikes::woot::love: Am I meant to brush them regularly? And does the shedding/malting ever learn?

TIA :nod:

You’re braver than I am with nail trimming.
I take mine to the vet where the lovely nurse Lisa trims their nails and weighs them so the surgery has a regular check of the weights. Better than my kitchen scales.
As for shedding - they do, some more than others.
On the rare occasions that a Keziah will sit on my lap she shares her fur generously. The other 2 also share fur with me but not quite so liberally.

We have bits of Gibson all over the house.....! Shedding is definitely a 'thing'! I brush him at least once a week, and trim him in the summer (if he lets me), this usually helps a little.

As for nail trimming - they look pretty good to me (good luck!)

You’re braver than I am with nail trimming.
I take mine to the vet where the lovely nurse Lisa trims their nails and weighs them so the surgery has a regular check of the weights. Better than my kitchen scales.
As for shedding - they do, some more than others.
On the rare occasions that a Keziah will sit on my lap she shares her fur generously. The other 2 also share fur with me but not quite so liberally.
Hehe I’ve trimmed them before and they were actually ok ☺️ The vets is too far for me to take them, and it’s difficult with my work schedule.

That's the one my hubby uses
We have bits of Gibson all over the house.....! Shedding is definitely a 'thing'! I brush him at least once a week, and trim him in the summer (if he lets me), this usually helps a little.

As for nail trimming - they look pretty good to me (good luck!)
Is he short haired? My boys are short haired so I’m not sure if they need brushing or not....

@Siikibam Our Gibson is long haired. Our other boy Higgins is short haired, he also sheds his hair loads, but only gets a brush every now and then as he hates it (his hair is almost the same as our dogs', so we never know which culprit is responsible for the black hair in our cup of tea/dinner/bath...!)

yeah, piggies do molt at different rates depending on the piggies.... our long haired piggies always molted more...

the clippers look great! We use a pair like that.

@Siikibam Our Gibson is long haired. Our other boy Higgins is short haired, he also sheds his hair loads, but only gets a brush every now and then as he hates it (his hair is almost the same as our dogs', so we never know which culprit is responsible for the black hair in our cup of tea/dinner/bath...!)
Oh my gosh! I’ve found hairs on plates and on in the bathroom!

yeah, piggies do molt at different rates depending on the piggies.... our long haired piggies always molted more...

the clippers look great! We use a pair like that.
I used the clippers and they’re great!

I’ve just bought a brush for my girls and the plan is to brush them every few weeks . One had a mat a while ago that I had to cut out and one a couple of weeks ago that I could brush out and the other never gets matted (so far) but she does shed a lot

I think I’ll just leave the brushing, seeing as they’re short haired so no chance of matting or anything like that. Now I just have to clean their bits...:vom:

I think I’ll just leave the brushing, seeing as they’re short haired so no chance of matting or anything like that. Now I just have to clean their bits...:vom:
Oh the joy of boars! Cleaning of their bits has to be my most favourite job (NOT) of boar keeping!

Oh the joy of boars! Cleaning of their bits has to be my most favourite job (NOT) of boar keeping!
I caught a whiff of the smegma once. I almost fainted from the ping, after almost vomiting :vom::vom::vom::vom::vom: I love them to bits but my goodness :eek:
How often do you clean them? Now I’ve thought about I can’t think where the cotton buds disappeared to!:hmm:

Hehe I’ve trimmed them before and they were actually ok ☺️ The vets is too far for me to take them, and it’s difficult with my work schedule.

Is he short haired? My boys are short haired so I’m not sure if they need brushing or not....
Same I have to clip my piggies nails since our vet is one far away and two quite expensive 8$ for a piggie! I don’t have the extra money or time for that

I caught a whiff of the smegma once. I almost fainted from the ping, after almost vomiting :vom::vom::vom::vom::vom: I love them to bits but my goodness :eek:
How often do you clean them? Now I’ve thought about I can’t think where the cotton buds disappeared to!:hmm:
The smegma does whiff a bit doesn't it? I clean my boys up as often as needed but a least once a month. A bit of warm water with a splidge of Gorgeous Guineas and a cotton bud and I'm there! (relunctantly but I'm there!)

The smegma does whiff a bit doesn't it? I clean my boys up as often as needed but a least once a month. A bit of warm water with a splidge of Gorgeous Guineas and a cotton bud and I'm there! (relunctantly but I'm there!)

I’ll prepare myself then! Off from tomorrow so I’ll plan and do it sometime in the week. We’re also having the school guinea pigs for the weekend. But I think they make my nose itch. I was thinking maybe the bedding (megazorb) but now I’m not so sure....

Ah so that’s what the dreadful smell is, I haven’t cleaned my two piggies, I’ve had them 6 months, is this something I have to do as they don’t like being handled?
I spend 15 to 20 minutes a day brushing hairs off their fleece, Fudge loses more than Ozzy.

I do a full clean, disinfect and change of fleece and pillows every five days. But every day I change their hay trays and take the fleece outside to brush hairs and hay off it. If I left the fleece for five days it would take longer than 20 minutes to rush all the hairs off.

Ah so that’s what the dreadful smell is, I haven’t cleaned my two piggies, I’ve had them 6 months, is this something I have to do as they don’t like being handled?
I spend 15 to 20 minutes a day brushing hairs off their fleece, Fudge loses more than Ozzy.
Can I ask what they smell like? I haven’t sniffed my boys’ bottoms but generally speaking I don’t think they smell...unless I’m just used to it now...:yikes:

Back