• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Need A New Cage Mate For My Bereaved Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elgifu321

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my piggie Rupert has been on his own almost a week now and his behaviour has changed- he's hiding more and not moving around etc. I've been giving him extra cuddles but I know it doesn't make up for piggie company.

I was looking for rescues near me and found cavy haven and made an appointment to do speed dating but the lady cancelled which I now see as a blessing as I since found out she breeds all her rescue sows!

Anyway there doesn't seem to be any good rescues anywhere near me and I don't mind travelling but even the rescues around don't seem to have many unbonded pigs... I'm terrified of ending up with two pigs who hate each other if I get a pig looking for a new home and I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance?

I'm really hoping to get a new piggie friend for Rupert as soon as possible.

Attached a pic of Rupert just because haha

image.jpeg

what a lovely piggie,have you had chance to look at the rescues on the locator to see if any are near where you live?some do bor dating and it takes the heat out of finding a compatible friend yourself.wish you luck finding a mate.:)

my piggie Rupert has been on his own almost a week now and his behaviour has changed- he's hiding more and not moving around etc. I've been giving him extra cuddles but I know it doesn't make up for piggie company.

I was looking for rescues near me and found cavy haven and made an appointment to do speed dating but the lady cancelled which I now see as a blessing as I since found out she breeds all her rescue sows!

Anyway there doesn't seem to be any good rescues anywhere near me and I don't mind travelling but even the rescues around don't seem to have many unbonded pigs... I'm terrified of ending up with two pigs who hate each other if I get a pig looking for a new home and I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance?

I'm really hoping to get a new piggie friend for Rupert as soon as possible.

Attached a pic of Rupert just because haha

View attachment 52288

Have you contacted The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove? They also often have got more guinea pigs in rescue than on the adoption pages, so it is worth enquiring. They are a bit further afield, but you would be in safe hands with them. The Northwest is very much one of our black spots when it comes to good rescues, unfortunately.

@AuntyC @pig in the city Anything suitable in Bryn-y-Maen or BARC?

Have you contacted The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove? They also often have got more guinea pigs in rescue than on the adoption pages, so it is worth enquiring. They are a bit further afield, but you would be in safe hands with them. The Northwest is very much one of our black spots when it comes to good rescues, unfortunately.

@AuntyC @pig in the city Anything suitable in Bryn-y-Maen or BARC?

Pig in the City is on a well earned break at the moment Wiebke - but I am sure she will answer this thread when back to normality.

Hi, sorry we only have 2 single boars at the moment who are lined up for neutering as they failed boar dates. Have you considered getting Rupert neutered and finding him a wife pig, its a lot less stressful in the long run. @Jenwah did you find a couple of single boars up your way?

Is that Cavy Haven at Winsford? If so you I'm guessing your location and think would be best to contact Helen at the Potteries GPR as I think that may be the nearest. Also try your local RSPCA. Altrincham sometimes has piggies.

Thank you everybody. I messaged a few rescues at the end of last week including the potteries but have had no response. Ruperts getting more reserved everyday so I don't want to leave it much longer. I messaged a breeder instead in the end who breeds teddys. She has one baby boar With no brothers that she was going to keep herself to ensure he wasn't alone. He's just over 5 weeks old, I'm off to pick him up now- fingers crossed things work out :clap: She has reassured me that if he won't bond with Rupert she will happily take him back as she's fallen a little bit in love with him herself :lol!:

You have to do what is right for your boy. Hopefully he will take to a baby boar and it will cheer him up. Let us see pics once you've found him a pal.

We are, very unusually, without any guinea pigs at Bryn y Maen at the moment. Good luck finding a suitable companion.

I brought the 5 week old teddy boar home (named him Caspar) and Rupert started popcorning immediately! He then proceeded to rumble a bit and pull a few hairs and even mount Caspar all of which I expected. No lunging, nipping or chattering though and in less than an hour they settled right down! Watched them in the run for a few more hours and they popcorned together and Caspar ran a few laps around the run- Rupert tried to keep up but Caspars a fast little buggar haha. It was amazing to see the Instant change in Rupert, he's moving around and eating more than he has in the last week! I just put them into the big cage together and they went in a hidey together and then went to eat out of the same bowl even though I put two in- typical haha. I'm so glad I got Caspar, it's definitely the best thing I could have done for Rupert!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What a wonderful story and so pleased to hear about the happy ending .
Rupert and now Caspar are two very lucky boys.

This has really bought a smile to my face too. Absolutely great news. So pleased he has a new friend to enjoy spending time with. Don't worry Caspar will soon get used to you. Hope to see lots more on the forum of this new friendship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back