• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emily Jane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello,
My guinea pig, cutie, was prescribed too medications by the vet. I’m fine with giving her them and was cleaning the syringes and when I came back I have here the medicine. However, I got the bottles mixed up and gave her 0.3 ml of Metacam instead of 0.25ml. I thought the medicine I was giving her was the one I give her twice a day which is a 0.3 ml dosage. I know it may seem like a little difference, however guinea pigs are small (she weighs 0.9kg) and I am just scared I have done some damage.

If anyone has done anything similar or has any advice or thoughts I would greatly appreciate it as I am very worried about my best friend

Hello, first off don't stress Metacam is well tolerated drug for pain relief you have gone 0.05ml over - so that shouldn't usually cause any issues. Guinea Pigs metabolise drugs very quickly.

She is acting okay isn't she?

I think you will be okay. My poorly boar has just has his Metacam dose increased from 2 units twice a day to 4ml twice a day. He weighs 1kg. The amount you have given your piggie is only a tiny bit over what was prescribed as @sport_billy says, and is still under what my boy is being given.

(We are using the version with the brand name Loxicom, for Cats. Does yours say if it is for cats or dogs?)

Hello, first off don't stress Metacam is well tolerated drug for pain relief you have gone 0.05ml over - so that shouldn't usually cause any issues. Guinea Pigs metabolise drugs very quickly.

She is acting okay isn't she?
Okay thank you
She is still acting fine, she is alert in her cage and she isn’t still acting normal giving me kisses and interacting fine

I think you will be okay. My poorly boar has just has his Metacam dose increased from 2 units twice a day to 4ml twice a day. He weighs 1kg. The amount you have given your piggie is only a tiny bit over what was prescribed as @sport_billy says, and is still under what my boy is being given.

(We are using the version with the brand name Loxicom, for Cats. Does yours say if it is for cats or dogs?)
Thank you for replying.
It is from Pets at Home (Vets4Pets) and all of their medicine bottles are the same. It’s says ‘0.01 x Metacam’, I’m not sure if that helps

hello,
My guinea pig, cutie, was prescribed too medications by the vet. I’m fine with giving her them and was cleaning the syringes and when I came back I have here the medicine. However, I got the bottles mixed up and gave her 0.3 ml of Metacam instead of 0.25ml. I thought the medicine I was giving her was the one I give her twice a day which is a 0.3 ml dosage. I know it may seem like a little difference, however guinea pigs are small (she weighs 0.9kg) and I am just scared I have done some damage.

If anyone has done anything similar or has any advice or thoughts I would greatly appreciate it as I am very worried about my best friend

Hi!

Don't worry about the metacam; that is in no way dangerous! Thankfully metacam is well tolerated by guinea pigs!

PS: My Pili Pala is currently on 4 different meds, which are mostly in same looking medicine bottles, so what I have done is use differently coloured markers on the labels. That makes my job a lot easier especially as she is a wiggly piggy and loves chewing on syringes!

Hi!

Don't worry about the metacam; that is in no way dangerous! Thankfully metacam is well tolerated by guinea pigs!

PS: My Pili Pala is currently on 4 different meds, which are mostly in same looking medicine bottles, so what I have done is use differently coloured markers on the labels. That makes my job a lot easier especially as she is a wiggly piggy and loves chewing on syringes!
I’ll need to try that thanks I had done something similar with the syringes and was really focused on not mixing up the syringes that I picked up the wrong bottles which is worse. But thank you so much, I’ll definitely do that

Don't worry. I have a guinea pig in the past who had health problems and Metacam was one of the medicine. While my hubby was giving her the Metacam, the other guinea pig which was healthy grabbed the syringe from hubby and took the Metacam for herself. Nothing happened to her, she was just probably a little happier. :lol!:

Don't worry. I have a guinea pig in the past who had health problems and Metacam was one of the medicine. While my hubby was giving her the Metacam, the other guinea pig which was healthy grabbed the syringe from hubby and took the Metacam for herself. Nothing happened to her, she was just probably a little happier. :lol!:
wow what a Piggie! My piggie quite likes the taste of the Metacam, however, she really hates her other medicine

Thanks for answering

wow what a Piggie! My piggie quite likes the taste of the Metacam, however, she really hates her other medicine

Thanks for answering
My piggy is currently in medication for UTI. She hates Sulfatrim so we give her that first followed by the Metacam, that's because she loves Metacam and it would look like it's a treat for her if we do it in that order..:lol:

My piggy is currently in medication for UTI. She hates Sulfatrim so we give her that first followed by the Metacam, that's because she loves Metacam and it would look like it's a treat for her if we do it in that order..:lol:
My piggy has baytrill and that’s the one I give her first and then the Metacam so that she can have the nice taste in her mouth for longer. And I was wondering why she liked it that time before I realised I was really stupid
I hope that your piggy gets well soon

Back