• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggiesxoxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a New Guinea pig owner. He's about two months and his name is Pumpkin. He was doing well the first month I had him (got him when he was 1 month old) and was popcorning, wheeking, and exploring. But now going into the second month I noticed he's not being so active. Is he bored? Should I get another Guinea pig? (It's my plan around Xmas!) Is his cage too small? He's just laying around a lot. He scratches himself quite often. Does he have an infection or rash? (He's an American shorthair I believe) He used to eat hay a good amount and now he's not. I switched his hay to horse hay from a barn. Is alfalfa and something else (I can't remember but it is with a b) it's a little brown too. Should I switch back to Timothy? It's a lot more expensive for me, but I don't care as long as Pumpkin is happy! He's not drinking water either. I switch his water every night so it's not stagnant or smelly or gross or anything. It's through a bottle. I'm really worried about him and I just want what's best for my BABY! If it makes a difference a couple weeks ago he had a slight eye injury from my dog knocking over the cage (it's higher now). The fur around his eye was missing and there was a bit of blood. Nothing else was hurting, and the actual eye isn't scratched. He acted fine for a week, and now this is happening. I don't know if he's related. I keep his toenails clipped. Please, abut helpful tips!

If you guinea pig has stoped eating this is a sign something serious has happened take him to see a vet as a matter of urgency. Piggies need to eat constantly and hay should be at least 80% of their diet. If they don't eat them their system starts to shut down. You need to step in with syringe feeding ASAP. There is a complete syringe feeding guide on here but I can't link it as I am on my phone.

As @Betsy says Please get your piggy seen by a Vet. They can’t survive very well without eating as the gut stops working. You also mention a fall? Was he checked by a Vet after this? Syringe feeding would keep his system working until you see the Vet but if he hasn’t eaten recently you need to find out why as a matter of urgency. When you see the Vet he’ll check his skin etc too for you. So many problems worrying you I’m afraid. Yes he could also be a bit lonely and you can find him a friend once his health problems have been addressed. Keep us posted about Vet.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Thank you for all your help! I woke up this morning with him nibbling on some hay. Do you think maybe he eats it but only when I'm not watching? I gave him more pellets and he started popcorning, that's really good. I think I might just watch him for another day or two and do some syringe feeding before I schedule him for an appointment.

View attachment 72666 View attachment 72666 Thank you for all your help! I woke up this morning with him nibbling on some hay. Do you think maybe he eats it but only when I'm not watching? I gave him more pellets and he started popcorning, that's really good. I think I might just watch him for another day or two and do some syringe feeding before I schedule him for an appointment.
Have you watched him eating anything else? Is he sitting for a while eating his hay and the same with his pellets? Is he producing lots of poo.? They do tend to pass hundreds in a day!,

He is eating a carrot right now. He's working on his pellets (eaten anoutHe seems to have produced a good amount of poo so far, not a lot of water.

Thank you for all the help! I appreciate it. I am thinking of getting another Guinea pig....what cage size would you recommend for two cavys? I just want Pumpkin to not be lonely!

Back