• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor Run On Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

coco&chanel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 pigs that live outside in a hutch. I let them into their run daily (weather permitting) with plenty of shade and tunnels/ houses etc. They have lots of safe grass to nibble on and food and water available.

I was wondering how long I should leave them in their run for. Is there a certain length of time or do the guineas give signs when they are fed up?

Thanks.

Hello, I have 2 pigs that live outside in a hutch. I let them into their run daily (weather permitting) with plenty of shade and tunnels/ houses etc. They have lots of safe grass to nibble on and food and water available.

I was wondering how long I should leave them in their run for. Is there a certain length of time or do the guineas give signs when they are fed up?

Thanks.

Make sure that they have plenty of shade and an area (ideally a bit off the ground and protected from any weather, like wind and/or showers, where they can retire to that also contains hay if they are out for longer spells and especially if the grass is not yet dry. The hay helps to avoid wet poos and to steady the digestion when guinea pigs are on the lawn for hours. Please make sure that any hideys are in the shade during a hot day, otherwise they are like ovens.

I hope that the tips in these threads her can help you.
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

I only leave my two on the grass for about 40 minutes at a time as I find they get bored, plus they can't have too much grass or Toast gets a funny tummy. But as long as they have adequate shade and water etc then it should be fine for longer, a couple of hours maybe? As long as they were still happy to be out and not in danger from birds/dogs/cats etc :nod:

:D I put my girls out at about 2-3 pm and leave them there until about 8- 8.30 pm, in summer. They may spend most of that time sitting in their shelters (Trixie Natura huts) and only come out for grass for short periods. They always have a hay cube available, plus a water bottle and a bowl of pellets.

Last edited:
:D I put my girls out at about 2-3 pm and leave them there until about 8- 8.30 pm. They may spend most of that time sitting in their shelters (Trixie Natura huts) and only come out for grass for short periods. They always have a hay cube available, plus a water bottle and a bowl of pellets.
Thanks! What do you put in their huts?

I'm looking to buy one but not sure which are best and need to have a look in person to see size.

:D At present, I have made a couple of beds from old towels and a bit of sherpa fleece sewn together. I have emailed C and E Cosies for some small liners with Zorb inners, but have not heard back yet. The Trixie huts are situated outside the runs, adjacent to the larger doorway. They also have a bendy wooden bridge in the run as well. My Trixie huts measure 45 x 34 cm inside, 34 cm high. You can get them from Amazon.

Hi

My piggies are out from 8am until 7pm during the summer. My dad built a huge run with a covered area one end (in which I put blankets on raised wooden boards so off the ground) and I also put in a carrier at the other end. Plus tunnels etc. Having watched them during the weekend, they have moments of activity, running around, feeding and then chill out time. I put a tarpaulin over one end so that if it rains they have dry shelter but I like to give them the choice of being in the rain or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back