• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please Please I Need Help!:( Severe Piggie Breathing Problems!

TsukiLouWho123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am really at a loss of what to do anymore:( nobody seems to have a slight incline what could be wrong with my pig, even the vets.
I've taken Willow to two vets- I rescued her from someone at college who could no longer care for her, I was told she had a sever respiratory infection while with her but was cleared up.
I've now had Willow for 6 months and she has recently developed a severe breathing fit thing. She starts open mouth breathing then she flops to the ground as if she is about to pass away it is extremely disturbing! I pop her in the nebuliser and she perks up again.
She does this several times a day and I feel like the episodes are progressively becoming longer. Nobody, including my vet, has ever seen/heard of a pig like this, please there must be someone somewhere with a similar experience?!?!
I love my pigs to pieces and I just lost a pig last night so I am feeling extra kind of worried about Willow because of hate it to be something that will inevitably lead to the worst.
I regularly go to my vet with her but they refuse to scan her due to how tiny she is. They recon from listening to her chest that she has a deformed lung that doesn't inflate all the way.
I'm not 100% sure, could it be a heart condition? Please no judgment I honestly call my vet at any moment I feel she is deteriorating, both vets are amazing but I just need to know if there's anyone out there that has had a similar experience:(((

Have your vets said they would need to sedate for a scan? They can usually be done conscious. Also a conscious x-ray would show if there is any fluid around the heart or in her lungs. A heart issue is a possibility. Has she always been small?

Have your vets said they would need to sedate for a scan? They can usually be done conscious. Also a conscious x-ray would show if there is any fluid around the heart or in her lungs. A heart issue is a possibility. Has she always been small?

Hi and welcome!

I agree with @helen105281 that there may be a heart problem and a build up of fluid involved.
Has anybody considered diuretics to help ease the breathing?

Both of my vets aren't keen on doing it without sedation:/ it's really frustrating because I've called around other vets also and they don't feel confident to do it!:(
She has always been tiny, I was told by the previous owner that her vet said due to the severity of the respiratory infection at such a young age it would have long-term effects on her health.
I hate to see any animal in pain/suffering I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I feel like even though nebulisation helps it isn't a quick fix. My vet suggested steroid inhalers but I have been told by a lot of people to steer clear of steroids?

Hi and welcome!

I agree with @helen105281 that there may be a heart problem and a build up of fluid involved.
Has anybody considered diuretics to help ease the breathing?
No, how exactly do they work? I mentioned in my other reply my vet suggested steroid inhalers but I have been warned by piggie owners to stay away?:/

Have a browse on the recommended vets list in here, hopefully you might find a guinea savvy one on there? What an awful situation :soz: It sounds like she might be quite poorly! I do agree with the above, in that it might be a heart issue causing fluid buildup or perhaps as your vet says she has a malformed lung. I suppose without a scan it might be difficult to tell but do try the recommended vets list, there might be a vet that would do a scan with no sedation! There's one near us who does, so they are definitely out there. It sounds like you're doing all you can with the nebuliser. Don't lose hope! Good luck, I'll say a little prayer for her tonight. :hug: xx

Have a browse on the recommended vets list in here, hopefully you might find a guinea savvy one on there? What an awful situation :soz: It sounds like she might be quite poorly! I do agree with the above, in that it might be a heart issue causing fluid buildup or perhaps as your vet says she has a malformed lung. I suppose without a scan it might be difficult to tell but do try the recommended vets list, there might be a vet that would do a scan with no sedation! There's one near us who does, so they are definitely out there. It sounds like you're doing all you can with the nebuliser. Don't lose hope! Good luck, I'll say a little prayer for her tonight. :hug: xx
Thank you so much! I have just did some research and I've found one around 25 miles away, to me it's worth it for my little Willy Bean. I hate seeing her like this, I have noticed once she starts to 'come back to life' her little heart beats ten to the dozen so I'll definitely give them a call and ask about scan with no sedation:)

Diuretics help clear fluid and are usually frusemide tablets or frusol which is the liquid version.

Does your girl have any of the following symptoms?

Bumblefoot
Blue tinge to nose
Heavy sleeping
Weight loss
Abdominal bloating

These can all be symptoms of a heart issue. I have 2 heart pigs and both stable on medication. Usually a vet will prescribe an ACE inhibator such as Benazepril alongside diuretics when needed.

Diuretics help clear fluid and are usually frusemide tablets or frusol which is the liquid version.

Does your girl have any of the following symptoms?

Bumblefoot
Blue tinge to nose
Heavy sleeping
Weight loss
Abdominal bloating

These can all be symptoms of a heart issue. I have 2 heart pigs and both stable on medication. Usually a vet will prescribe an ACE inhibator such as Benazepril alongside diuretics when needed.
No, not any of those symptoms at all... The only time she rests for a long period is after on of her 'breathing fits' then she gets up and acts like nothing happened! When just before she falls to the ground gasping for air it's so bizarre!
She has always just been tiny, she's never lost weight but also doesn't gain it.

Ok may not be heart related but is best to get it ruled out by a vet. If you are able to see one that is willing to at least do an ultrasound it may help you get some answers.

I had a heart piggy &after hitting a brick wall with suggestions, my final vet was brilliant, he managed to listen to her with a stethoscope & could hear she had a sticky valve/murmur. Ellie had the same medication(fortekor)/diuretics (furesimide) as @helen105281 has suggested above & her breathing did improve a bit. She was nearly 8yrs old so i didn't want any invasive or risky methods used as treatments, so everything was consciously done.

i also put olbas oil on a small piece of cloth, near the piggies cage/hutch but out of reach when any of mine had breathing problems, that definitely seemed to help with just general unconnected respiratory issues, it helps to keep there airways a bit clearer.

have you changed hay types/bales/or providers before you noticed the difficulties getting more regular? Even simple things like a bad batch of hay (mouldy, damp, dusty)can trigger a respiratory infection URI.

have you changed to or got any form of aerosols, air freshener , perfumes, cleaning products, different washing powder/detergents or burn incense sticks or similar, that could irritate her airways & trigger the breathing difficulties too?

@Adelle is from Scotland too, she may be able to recommend her vet if they're local to you, they were fantastic with her little ladies.
Healing vibes little one, let us know how she gets on. xx

Last edited:
Back