• Potteries GPR Christmas Fair Saturday 16th November 2019 Information Click Here Come join us at the Forum Table at this Event.
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red marks on nose , please help

Kyubi0302

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm so glad that I found this site...
Its 4 am here and I noticed my guinea pig has red Mark's on her nose. She had a weird crusty nose a few days ago and I put some fungus cream on it because other owners told me she had a fungal infection. I bought her from petsmart and ever since she came home she has been sneezing here and there. Recently I have not heard her sneeze that often. She eats well and plays with her sisters and has not shown signs of lethargy. I have attached a picture of her nose. Should I take her to the vet? Or should I continue to put the fungal ointment on her nose? Please help I am so worried and I dont want to lose her...20190806_032048.jpg20190806_032056.jpg

Helen82

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Take her to the vet as you don't know for certain what it is you're trying to treat. She needs to be properly diagnosed and then you can start using the right medications. Good Luck! (And if it's ringworm there's unfortunately going to be a lot you're going to need to do, disinfecting etc)

MimiCreamie18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Take her to the vet as you don't know for certain what it is you're trying to treat. She needs to be properly diagnosed and then you can start using the right medications. Good Luck! (And if it's ringworm there's unfortunately going to be a lot you're going to need to do, disinfecting etc)
I agree!

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I fully understand you deep affection for your piggie and as you so lovingly put on
I don't want to lose her is a feeling a lot of us have when our piggies have something that doesnt look right.
I can't tell you what's up with you're piggie and well done for getting pictures on.
Be postive as you say she's acting normal and eating etc but I think to get a proper help for her be advise to see a vet asap.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. We don't advise home treating without a proper diagnosis and advice from your vet. Put simply home treatments can make symptoms improve in the short term but don't always resolve the issue, however it is like wiping a crime scene and can make diagnosis harder for a vet. We have seen many occasions where treatment has cost more in the long run when factoring in the cost of home treatments, vets visits (which can be more regular when the vet is trying to find out what's going on) and then finally the appropriate treatment.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Its 4 am here and I noticed my guinea pig has red Mark's on her nose. She had a weird crusty nose a few days ago and I put some fungus cream on it because other owners told me she had a fungal infection. I bought her from petsmart and ever since she came home she has been sneezing here and there. Recently I have not heard her sneeze that often. She eats well and plays with her sisters and has not shown signs of lethargy. I have attached a picture of her nose. Should I take her to the vet? Or should I continue to put the fungal ointment on her nose? Please help I am so worried and I dont want to lose her...View attachment 119696View attachment 119697
Hope you rejoin us on here and all the best.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Its 4 am here and I noticed my guinea pig has red Mark's on her nose. She had a weird crusty nose a few days ago and I put some fungus cream on it because other owners told me she had a fungal infection. I bought her from petsmart and ever since she came home she has been sneezing here and there. Recently I have not heard her sneeze that often. She eats well and plays with her sisters and has not shown signs of lethargy. I have attached a picture of her nose. Should I take her to the vet? Or should I continue to put the fungal ointment on her nose? Please help I am so worried and I dont want to lose her...View attachment 119696View attachment 119697
Hi!

Please have her vet checked for ringworm and respiratory infection. You can reclaim the cost from the pet shop if your piggy comes with problems as part of your customer rights for having been sold faulty ware.
Information on common illnesses that come with pet shop or breeder piggies and your customer rights re. vet care refunds and how long you are entitled to a refund in several countries are in this link here: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

Please do not treat ringworm (a highly contagious form of fungal that can jump species) with a little cream just on the spot. You will never get on top of it that way if doesn't prevent spores from escaping and affecting other parts of the body to cause new infection sites - and by that time the spores will have spread pretty much everywhere in their thousands. :(

It is VERY important that you follow our hygiene tips in order to get on top of it once and for all. Ringworm can also affect humans and other pets. Its invisible spores are very long lived and can cause re-infections for up to nearly two years. We have in the over dozen years worked out most of the potential angles of infection and how to address them successfully.
Never take ringworm, which is sadly very common in pet shop guinea pigs, lightly - the reason why it is so common is that pet shops struggle to get on top of it in the first place! Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent them to happily continue to sell pets to hapless customers... :( :( :(
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

We can however NOT diagnose just from a picture, nor are qualified to; we can only show you which actions to take and which avenues to pursue.

Please take the time to read the information in the green links. It is very practical and step-by-step - and we know from our members' experiences that it actually works! :tu:

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hope you can get an early vet appointment and a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Holding you in my thoughts