• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Safe Guinea Pig Toys

alf1et

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please help me,

I have been doing lots of research for about 6/7 months because I am getting 2 baby American guinea pigs and I can't find any information on weather or not RUBBER toys are safe for guinea pigs. I was wondering if anyone could please help me and at the same time if anyone please has any toy suggestions because I want my guinea pigs to be happy and healthy.

Thankyou

Hi, I'm Alfie

I have been doing lots of research for about 6/7 months because I am getting 2 baby American guinea pigs and I can't find any information on weather or not RUBBER toys are safe for guinea pigs. I was wondering if anyone could please help me and at the same time if anyone please has any toy suggestions because I want my guinea pigs to be happy and healthy.

Thankyou

I'm not sure about rubber, I wouldnt use it personally because my pigs will chew on it. I can't imagine eating rubber is good for their tummies :hmm:

My pigs aren't that interested in normal toys. They do however love everything with food.. :roll:

A simple example they like: Toilet/kitchen rolls (cut open on the long side so they dont get stuck) stuffed with hay or simple wooden box or egg boxes stuffed with hay and/or hidden veggies

I don't think they would be safe they would chew rubber & possibly eat the bits, someone maybe knows more than me. Hard plastic toys from the bird section are good, but make sure bells are secure. They love tunnels, if you get a cardboard one cut a quarter of it out. So they don't pee or poo on it.they love carrot houses, screwed up pieces of paper (not) newspaper, poor a treat in there. Cut Toliet paper tubes in half length ways, fill with hay & stretch them on the bars with string. Brown paper bags. You can get them from Amazon.
To be quiet honest they are not really players. They will def love you for the carrot house or boxes or cardboard tubes. Just second guess everything regarding safety & make sure they have plenty of room to popcorn or zoomies. Sorry for the essay. Lol.

Welcome to our friendly forum.

No thankyou I appreciate it and so will Rambo & Rocky

Thankyou, Appreciate it

Sorry, I meant to say simple cardboard boxes, not wooden ones :nod: easy and cheap to replace when they get dirty. The piggies also love tunnels to run in and out or to sleep in them like Tiamolly123 said.

There are many good ideas on the internet for 'DIY' guineapig toys. Good luck with your new boys!

I personally wouldn't give rubber toys. I have these wooden balls that they use for chewing but apart from that and some nice tunnels , I don't give the girls many toys just lots of space to zoom around!

I'm no expert though but I can't imagine the rubber or plastic doing them any good x

I personally wouldn't give rubber toys. I have these wooden balls that they use for chewing but apart from that and some nice tunnels , I don't give the girls many toys just lots of space to zoom around!

I'm no expert though but I can't imagine the rubber or plastic doing them any good x

Hi, I'm Alfie

Thankyou

I agree with the above from @Lexipiggie the only plastic toy I have for my two boys is a blue rattly ball (they only get it during floortime I don't leave it in their cage) which they roll about. Apart from that any wooden toys or toys made from foodstuffs are great! Even a simple toilet roll tube stuffed with hay is brilliant! I think every guinea pig loves a good tunnel also. :)

But I do have a small plastic treat ball for them to use during floor time.
It's good because instead of chewing on it , they have learnt to nudge it and get it to dispense treats. It gives them a challenge!

No it's ok I appreciate the help:)

Thankyou it's nice to know that some people acctually want to take care of their pets and make shure that they are healthy and happy.

But I do have a small plastic treat ball for them to use during floor time.
It's good because instead of chewing on it , they have learnt to nudge it and get it to dispense treats. It gives them a challenge!
That treat is on the dangerous toys list, apparently plastic bits break off of it. I'm not sure if it's OK with supervision. Sorry

Back