• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab/cut formed in a week

Livvysquish

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, does anybody have any idea what this could be? It has appeared in the past week. At first it was a sore nose/crusty on the tip not notrils and her eyes sore and then it went red. Then a a day after I noticed this on her side. Her eyes are fine but her side is spreading.
From when I first saw it, I've been treating her nose and side with saline solution and sudo creme and I bought antiseptic cream for piggies and powder and anti parasite spot on to use until a get paid in a week.

I honestly feel terrible that I can't rush her to the vet immediately and have to wait. But I've done some research and have provided what I can.

She's eating the same and her other cage mates haven't got anything similar on her. She's also still popcorning. She also doesn't make any sort of squealing or pain noise when cleaning her wound.

Has anybody else had this on their piggy? And what was it? What helped?

Attachments

• 20210503_004915.jpg
    20210503_004915.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210503_005333.jpg
    20210503_005333.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 17
Hello. I don’t know what it is but it looks very sore. The only thing you can do is get her to the vet as soon as possible. Hope she gets sorted out soon. 🤞

Please do have her seen by a vet As soon as you can. If it is spreading already though then delaying (I appreciate your reasons) could make it harder to stop. Is there a friend or family member who can help you get her to the vet sooner?
I’m afraid we won’t recommend any home treatments because they generally do not work and can make things worse. Sudocrem can be very drying and can in some situations irritate the skin more. An anti parasite spot on from a pet shop is low dosed so won’t cure anything either (they generally only suppress symptoms due to not being prescription strength) and therefore allow for any parasites to just come back and can lead to resistance to the medication (making parasites harder to treat in the long run).

Oh gosh, poor girl. :agr: That looks very sore and not something that can wait. Hope you manage to get a vet appointment

I am very sorry but she really does need to see a vet as that looks so sore :( Do you have family or friends who could lend you the money until you get paid?

I know you have good intentions but please don’t home treat as you are more than likely making the problem worse and It will make it harder for the vet to diagnose

I’d get her to the vet ASAP, in all likelihood they will have some sort of payment plan. Two issues. Firstly welfare, it looks really sore and needs dealing with. Second though is the longer you leave it the more it might end up costing in the long run. Good luck xx

I appreciate all the advice. I have no sort of family to lend money from sadly. Not only that but my local vets (vets4pets) don't do payment plans or even aided help, I did try insurance but they only offer it for rabbits dogs and cats. I also called pdsa and they're only doing appointments for serious injuries, the examples they used was broken bones, bleeding out, and unconscious. I told them it was a skin wound/skin infection and they said wait and see if it heals and to book an emergency appointment if it goes deeper or causes other symptoms.

Her wound her gotten less raw over the night but not cleared. The only thing I'm using at the moment is tea tree antiseptic guinea pig cream, warm water and saline solution (in a different order).

**UPDATE

my mum is eligible for free pdsa (I live with her) so she is going to register her. Though the guinea pigs are fully mine, she does also take care of them like "family pets" especially since I have lost my job due to covid.
Hopefully we can get her to a vet in the next day.

I’m so pleased you can get her seen, that does look very ouch! Good luck at the vets and really hope she’s ok :)

Update* TW// upsetting picture/gore kinda

I called for an emergency appointment because the nose scab is effecting her breathing and the cut has gotten worse.

I waited an hour in a queue just to be spoken to terribly and on their end it started breaking up whilst I was giving details and they just ended the call.

I was on the call for roughly a minute...
Now I've got to book an non emergency appointment online which could take a few days to a week.

This sucks terribly. Not only all that but I think whatever she's got is spreading to my other 4 piggies. They're all getting crusty eyes. I would never wish this situation on anyone, its very upsetting.

It looks a bit more healed on her side but her nose is a lot worse. She's also sneezing a bit of liquid, sounds wet when she sneezes.

Pictures taken today. Enjoy of pic of her goofy face at least.

Attachments

• 20210504_144343.jpg
    20210504_144343.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210504_144430.jpg
    20210504_144430.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
Can you try a different vet?

I’m afraid this can’t wait, particularly if she is having breathing difficulties. Try another vet and explain the emergency.

Can you try a different vet?

I’m afraid this can’t wait, particularly if she is having breathing difficulties. Try another vet and explain the emergency.
Sadly, no other vet gives any financial aid. I'm started to just weigh up getting a loan. I called my closest vet and they estimated about £150, that's with consultation, tests and medication. All my guinea pigs will need this treatment as I think its contagious. That's nearly £1000. Usually I would have been able to but I've lost my job and savings due to covid.
A very distressing situation.

I’m so so sorry for your situation. It must be awful.

I’m afraid as they need urgent medical attention, perhaps you may need to surrender them?

perhaps others on here know of organisations that can help re paying for veterinary treatment? Could some charities help with vet costs?

I’m so so sorry for your situation. It must be awful.

I’m afraid as they need urgent medical attention, perhaps you may need to surrender them?

perhaps others on here know of organisations that can help re paying for veterinary treatment? Could some charities help with vet costs?

I've just got an emergency appointment for her at vets4pets. Though it's more expensive, I've got an appointment today at 6pm.
My mum is letting me be in debt to her for a while lol.

Also, I'd sacrifice everything I have before surrendering them. Even if that means me going without electronics or paying a loan. They're my livelihood and my best friends. I know their care is more important than what I want but I know that my financial situation isn't a permanent thing.

I’m sorry for the situation that you’re in :( Do you qualify for help from the PDSA if you have lost your job? It may be worth giving them a call
I qualify for low cost care. I waited for an hour on hold for an emergency, only for signal on their end to mess up and them put the phone down 😥 they also said that it didn't really seem like an emergency because she is still eating and moving. It's sad.
I've got an appointment at vets4pets today though, can't wait to see the bill 😆 I'm going to be sweating waiting for it 😂

Back