• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stargrass Hay and Alfalfa Hay

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my Guinea pig for almost a month now. She's a month and a couple of weeks old Sheltie/Silkie sow.
Not sure why she's not too keen on eating hay. This is they hay I'm giving her.
It's Stargrass Hay with Alfalfa Hay. But she doesn't seem to like it that much. I'm not even sure if she's eating it. Is there anyway I could teach her to eat her Hay? Thank you! IMG_20190224_102247.jpg

Some jays aren’t well liked, you’d have to stop feeding Afalfa when she gets older so maybe try some different hay now. The soft hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk is really well loved

Some jays aren’t well liked, you’d have to stop feeding Afalfa when she gets older so maybe try some different hay now. The soft hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk is really well loved
It's hard and expensive to source for Hay here in Philippines. She's just a month and a couple of weeks old. She nibbles bits and pieces every now and then so I guess that's a good sign?

Do you have any other types of hay availabile? Sorry missed your location...

Same problem! :( But mine are now starting to eat their Alfalfa hay. We tried to blend the timothy hay.

I stopped placing pellets and gave fewer veggies like instead of twice a day, just once a day. In a way, I'm starving them from everything else except hay so that they'd get used to it. Though whenever I'd feel guilty, I'm giving them some extra goodies and veggies. They're eating their hay a little better now.

Do you have any other types of hay availabile? Sorry missed your location...
I'm in the Philippines. It's expensive here to buy Timothy hay. The one's available are Napier grass, Stargrass Hay and Alfalfa. I was able to buy a pack of Meadow hay but it's old, brown and my girl completely ignored it. She's starting to eat a few pieces of the combination of Stargrass and Alfalfa but not much.

Same problem! :( But mine are now starting to eat their Alfalfa hay. We tried to blend the timothy hay.

I stopped placing pellets and gave fewer veggies like instead of twice a day, just once a day. In a way, I'm starving them from everything else except hay so that they'd get used to it. Though whenever I'd feel guilty, I'm giving them some extra goodies and veggies. They're eating their hay a little better now.
I tried doing that once but she got mad at me. Kid you not, when I arrived home, she was rumble strutting to me when I called her name and didn't come out to claim her veggie from me.

Back