• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I returned home from a week's holiday yesterday (six hour drive 😭) and my two hooligans stayed with a friend as opposed to my nan after their recent hay poke adventures (my nan can't see if anything is in/near the eye). And I cannot fault how she's looked after them. Both look happy and if I'm honest the cage is cleaner than it was when I took them! She removed those ugly wee stains staining the base.

However upon going to give morning veges the smorning, I noticed the second digit in on Steve's left front paw is swollen. After picking him up, there appears to be a small hole/lesion in between that toe and the next one but above the bigger pad. No redness or scabbing so I'm hoping whatever it is I've caught it early.

I realise a vet is needed, but what should I anticipate having prescribed for him. And does it sound in early stages? From what I've read, it appears scabbing and redness, change in behaviour indicates a more severe case.

I'll try and get a picture once I'm home.

I also read bathing the foot in Epsom bath salts (as well as whatever the vet prescribes) can help with the infection. So are these salts adequate? I work in Tesco so just wondering because if so I can pick some up and at least bath it before his vet visit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190824-053654.jpg
    Screenshot_20190824-053654.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2
Sorry to hear this, have no advice on bumble foot hopefully someone with some knowledge will be along shortly

My fella is on his second course of metacam for it, it's very hard to get rid of it once it takes hold. :(

I've read it's quite common which I never realised...also just wondering how he got it. Can it just be one of those things? Because he doesn't lack vitamin C and he is cleaned out daily so don't believe he's in bad living conditions. 😥 Just sucks coming home from holiday and finding it.

Mine was totally random, I've kept piggies for over 15 years, this is the first pig that's had it.

Mine was totally random, I've kept piggies for over 15 years, this is the first pig that's had it.

Well I hope your piggy recovers, it really is a nasty thing looking at it. Give them a cuddle from me- and hugs to you it's horrible seeing them uncomfortable. Has the metacam helped at all or at least kept it at bay? I don't believe my hooligan's (if it is bumble foot) is at the moment serious but that's just me assuming becuase there is no scabs etc.

I returned home from a week's holiday yesterday (six hour drive 😭) and my two hooligans stayed with a friend as opposed to my nan after their recent hay poke adventures (my nan can't see if anything is in/near the eye). And I cannot fault how she's looked after them. Both look happy and if I'm honest the cage is cleaner than it was when I took them! She removed those ugly wee stains staining the base.

However upon going to give morning veges the smorning, I noticed the second digit in on Steve's left front paw is swollen. After picking him up, there appears to be a small hole/lesion in between that toe and the next one but above the bigger pad. No redness or scabbing so I'm hoping whatever it is I've caught it early.

I realise a vet is needed, but what should I anticipate having prescribed for him. And does it sound in early stages? From what I've read, it appears scabbing and redness, change in behaviour indicates a more severe case.

I'll try and get a picture once I'm home.

Hi! Treatment depends on your vet's findings. It may rather be an injury than bumblefoot because that is usually on the foot pad.
There is no one single recommended bumblefoot treatment. Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis

Hi! Treatment depends on your vet's findings. It may rather be an injury than bumblefoot because that is usually on the foot pad.
There is no one single recommended bumblefoot treatment. Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis
I've bathed it in salt water for tonight. Booking vet visit for asap. Still just looks swollen. I've trimmed his claws as one does look as though it could be the cause- stood on it funny and it's been digging in. His claws curl (always have) so I've trimmed as far to quick as I can (nipped one -sorry Steve 😭) so hopefully that was the cause.

Back