• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Taos Not Eating When Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
  1. Tao was losing weight and we think it was down to the Baytril she was on

We had stopped The Baytril and she began to put weight back on for 1 day. We were given Emeprid and Zantac yesterday to start on its own before the Baytril again after 24hours.

Last night she had her 1st doses of Emeprid and Zantac. She hasn't eaten all night and lost weight again. I get up in the morning and shell take some veggies, grass and hay off me like it's no problem. Then when at work she'll not eat again until I start feeding her when I'm home. This was the same while on Baytril

So confused! She's been through a lot and we can't put our finger on the cause!

-She lost her companion last week
    -She's had an X-ray to show she has a thickened uterus wall
    -Occasionally has a white bum (we've tried no calcium and it still happens)
    -Won't eat when alone
    -Will eat with us
    -Will not eat pellets
    -Tiny poos since starting Emeprid
    -Some poo have white surfaces
    -Her weight is very irratic, we think "good she's putting it back on" then we get up and she hasn't touched anything. Seems to lose 40-60g while at work and through the night when she's alone then put 20-40g back on while sitting with us. Same when she was on Baytril

Would now be the time to get a friend. With another piggy you may find 1 encourages the other.

We are really trying.
We've been to rescues to bond and she is very dominant. Another rescue is going to take her in for a couple of days for a slow bonding process but she has no availability for another few weeks

That's a pain, is that the only rescue that does bonding?
We are really trying.
We've been to rescues to bond and she is very dominant. Another rescue is going to take her in for a couple of days for a slow bonding process but she has no availability for another few weeks
I know your trying, you must be tied in knots at the moment, really sorry you've lost one.
I've heard that baytril can be an appetite killer. Is she on all these meds because of a thickened uterus.?

That's a pain, is that the only rescue that does bonding?

I know your trying, you must be tied in knots at the moment, really sorry you've lost one.
I've heard that baytril can be an appetite killer. Is she on all these meds because of a thickened uterus.?

Yeah, they were talking about spaying her which we obviously we desperately want to avoid.

So they're trying meds but we believe this to be the reason she's not eating, but it could be a number of reasons so we really don't know which way to turn now

:(

Spaying may be your only choice, it means someone with her to syringe feed, but in the long run, it may be better. I'll try & ger someone else to chat to you. They will be far more knowledgeable than me.
@helen105281. @Adelle @VickiA

Spaying may be your only choice, it means someone with her to syringe feed, but in the long run, it may be better. I'll try & ger someone else to chat to you. They will be far more knowledgeable than me.
@helen105281. @Adelle @VickiA

I don't quite get what you mean by "it means someone with her to syringe feed". This is not standard practice when they have been spayed. I have had one spayed just after Christmas & another yesterday & no syringe feeding, just meds via syringe morning and night x

Yeah, they were talking about spaying her which we obviously we desperately want to avoid.

So they're trying meds but we believe this to be the reason she's not eating, but it could be a number of reasons so we really don't know which way to turn now

:(
I'm not sure whether spaying alters behavior maybe other members can verify this. Did you ask your vet about Cisapride to give with the Baytril.

I don't quite get what you mean by "it means someone with her to syringe feed". This is not standard practice when they have been spayed. I have had one spayed just after Christmas & another yesterday & no syringe feeding, just meds via syringe morning and night x

My vets aren't very comforting when they are talking about the op, always talking about "there are risks mind!" I think I'll be changing vets. Are all the vets on the lists on here ALL definitely Guinea savvy? I've found one near me called Gilmoore

I'm not sure whether spaying alters behavior maybe other members can verify this. Did you ask your vet about Cisapride to give with the Baytril.

I asked and they gave me emeprid, they said the effects are the same. But she's having small poos and not eating alone so it seems to of had the same effect or maybe it wasn't the Baytril.

The spaying is for her thickened uterus wall issue not the behavioural

Sorry that should be needs to have someone with her because you probably will be syringe feeding every couple of hours. That's great you didn't have to syringe feed them. My lad was neutered & I had syringe him for a while, he's just a big baby though.

My vets aren't very comforting when they are talking about the op, always talking about "there are risks mind!" I think I'll be changing vets. Are all the vets on the lists on here ALL definitely Guinea savvy? I've found one near me called Gilmoore
Yes they are all cavy savvy

I asked and they gave me emeprid, they said the effects are the same. But she's having small poos and not eating alone so it seems to of had the same effect or maybe it wasn't the Baytril.

The spaying is for her thickened uterus wall issue not the behavioural

It's Deborah you need to see at Gilmoor. She works at Gilesgate & Spennymoor surgeries. Ask if she has done spays on guinea pigs before. Our vet in Stockton a bit further away has done several including 2 of ours & the cost is £70 inc. post opp treatment. Emeprid & Zantac are OK, maybe they don't have Cisapride in stock.

It's Deborah you need to see at Gilmoor. She works at Gilesgate & Spennymoor surgeries. Ask if she has done spays on guinea pigs before. Our vet in Stockton a bit further away has done several including 2 of ours & the cost is £70 inc. post opp treatment. Emeprid & Zantac are OK, maybe they don't have Cisapride in stock.

I'd like to avoid spaying until we have a companion for her but I will definitely have a look in case we need to earlier. Thanks for that, I'll be in touch with her

She's been eating during th day today and still eating now. Only thing different was I gave her a load of pro-c probiotic this morning and again when I got in, maybe try a little more before bed.

Yeah just mixing it as the tub says half scoop to every 100ml of water. The syringing her 5-10ml, 3 times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back