• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

UGRENT: dog got to Guinea pig

Vet or no vet?

• Vet

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No vet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

toodledoodler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my dog Panda was unattended and my mum was supposed to watch that he didn’t get to my guinea pigs but failed - Morgan is fine but Panda was chasing Bumble. Bumble got terrified, naturally, both my mum and I searched him for injuries but he seems to have no visible damage, although the black part of his fur is a bit wet and when he scratched his side, he lost a little tuft of fur that also felt damp. Now he’s lying on his side and chin which he NEVER typically does and won’t even touch food while Morgan is enthusiastically eating. What do I do? Is this just shock? Doesn’t he need to see a vet?

He needs to see a vet now - like straight away as an emergency.

What are the possible dangers he’s facing? Like, could shock kill him? Is there a possibility that he will die even if he’s uninjured by the dog?

Thank you all for replying - I’ll get him to a vet ASAP. To clarify, my dog is almost toothless and nobody saw Panda actually grab Bumble or anything, but there is still a fair chance he could’ve damaged Bumble, isn’t there?

Yep! A guinea pig is a delicate animal and needs to be treated as such.

Bumble is now eating, but what do they do about the shock at the vet’s? Do they give him something sedating?

Even with no teeth, dogs can cause crushing injuries, which a guinea pig will do it's best to hide, being a prey animal. Shock, internal bleeding, broken bones are all possibilities from being frightened, potentially picked up and dropped again by the dog, better safe than sorry and see a vet as soon as possible.

This member is not logged on at the moment. Maybe, this is because they are at the vets with their guinea pig.

Please see a vet urgently, a friends dog picked up her Guinea pig after it had escaped from a run and carried it into the house and placed it into her lap and the poor pig died from shock! The dog did his very gently, there were no wounds but it scared the poor Guinea pig to death.

The poor piggy will at the very least need xrays and sedation from a vet as a matter of urgency... but soft tissue and internal injuries could show up later even if he seems ok now. Dogs and piggies really shouldnt mix! My colleague who has dogs was trying to show me "cute" photos of a piggy sat on a bull terrier but that's just terrifyingly dangerous however nice the dog is...

I can't believe that posts continued even after everyone was saying a vet is needed urgently. I sincerely hope this piggy made it to the vets

Hi everyone, I have called the vet. She said to let him rest in darkness for 45 minutes as it can be shock that can wear itself out. And if he isn’t better after that, we are headed straight for the vet. Sorry for the delayed answer, I’m heartbroken. Please keep Bumble in your prayers if you do pray, I just want my baby boy to live. He isn’t even 6 months old. I’ll keep you posted.

Best of luck to Bumble. Hope you and Morgan are ok. A good rest with his friend to comfort him will hopefully heal him.

Back