• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolapalak

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got a piggy that's just over 4 years old now. a couple of days ago he had a surgery done under anaesthetic. That was for his teeth. I don't know why but since the surgery he has not been eating at all and he lost almost a pound in the last 2 months. I've been trying to force feed him but he's not having it at all. I know Guinea pigs struggle when it comes to syringe feeding but mine is not taking anything at all. He literally runs away and try to get out and I can't feed him at all. He's refusing everything I try. I've wathxing a few videos of how to syringe feed them but the Guinea pigs in the videos eventually accept the syringe and eat but mine won't at all. He moves his whole body, wiggles his head and tries to jump and the food goes everywhere but his mouth :/ I'm getting really miserable as I really want to help him but don't know how to. He's also got a respiratory infection so I've got to give him his medicines orally but I can't even do that as I can't get the syringe near his mouth.
He has just had his teeth filed and whenever he tried to eat something it looks like it's hurting him and he can't even get lettuce or kale in his mouth. Any ideas why this could be? I think his teeth might be too short or sensitive.

Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help

His teeth will be sore after a dental, how about getting someone to hold his, head. the syringe feeding & taking his meds are essential. If he won't take it he's going to be very ill. Only give him as much as he will inhale some & make his respiratory infection a lot worth. He needs to eat to live.

Hi everyone, I've got a piggy that's just over 4 years old now. a couple of days ago he had a surgery done under anaesthetic. That was for his teeth. I don't know why but since the surgery he has not been eating at all and he lost almost a pound in the last 2 months. I've been trying to force feed him but he's not having it at all. I know Guinea pigs struggle when it comes to syringe feeding but mine is not taking anything at all. He literally runs away and try to get out and I can't feed him at all. He's refusing everything I try. I've wathxing a few videos of how to syringe feed them but the Guinea pigs in the videos eventually accept the syringe and eat but mine won't at all. He moves his whole body, wiggles his head and tries to jump and the food goes everywhere but his mouth :/ I'm getting really miserable as I really want to help him but don't know how to. He's also got a respiratory infection so I've got to give him his medicines orally but I can't even do that as I can't get the syringe near his mouth.
He has just had his teeth filed and whenever he tried to eat something it looks like it's hurting him and he can't even get lettuce or kale in his mouth. Any ideas why this could be? I think his teeth might be too short or sensitive.

Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help
@furryfriends (TEAS) has a lot of experience with dental issues.She runs a sanctuary for piggies with dental problems and uses one of the best vets who does conscious dentals.You will have to be forceful with the syringe feeding I'm afraid as your piggie will not survive if he is not eating.Have you read the syringe feeding guide on this site?

Could I ask you to add your location to your profile as it helps us know whereabouts you are located, we may be able to suggest a cavy savy vet.

What medication is he currently on? After the dental work have you been given any pain relief like medication like metacam to give at homecoming?

What are you syringe feeding at the moment? Is he eating hay?

His teeth will be sore after a dental, how about getting someone to hold his, head. the syringe feeding & taking his meds are essential. If he won't take it he's going to be very ill. Only give him as much as he will inhale some & make his respiratory infection a lot worth. He needs to eat to live.
I did get my boyfriend to hold him for me but we both seem to struggle with it. I just can't get the syringe in his mouth as he shakes his head vilently :/

@furryfriends (TEAS) has a lot of experience with dental issues.She runs a sanctuary for piggies with dental problems and uses one of the best vets who does conscious dentals.You will have to be forceful with the syringe feeding I'm afraid as your piggie will not survive if he is not eating.Have you read the syringe feeding guide on this site?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah I've literally read everything there is about hand and syringe feeding :/ I feel really upset because of this because I really don¨t want him to die just because of this and because of my inability to syringe feed.

Could I ask you to add your location to your profile as it helps us know whereabouts you are located, we may be able to suggest a cavy savy vet.

What medication is he currently on? After the dental work have you been given any pain relief like medication like metacam to give at homecoming?

What are you syringe feeding at the moment? Is he eating hay?
Yes sorry I thought I put it in. I'm from Liverpool and I don't know many vets around here. Have you got any suggestions?

He's on metacam, bisolvon and enrobactin but I am really struggling to give them his medication. I'm feeding him baby food and I blend all sorts of veg and fruits with his nuggets and them syringe feed him that if I'm successful. I'm waiting for my critical care which should arrive tomorrow. He's not eating anything at all. He's tried lettuce, kale, hay and nuggets but he literally can't even get anything in his mouth. He was sort of clickingthe kale but it wouldn't go in his mouth, he couldn't bite it. It seems to me that at the moment his upper front teeth are the issue. Is there a possibility the vet cut them too short and therefore it hurts him to eat or get something in his mouth?

Usually I would suggest you go to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton if you are able to travel? however, he is away until the 18th. It is normal for a pig to not eat straight after a dental as it can take them a day or so to get used to new teeth but this does worry me if he can't take any food. Can you get him back to your vet and ask that they admit him for feeding? if there is no food going in he will start to shut down. Do you know what the vet did during the dental?

Last edited:
Guinea Pig Vet Locator Is our vet locator. Pop your postcode in. As Helen said Simon if you can get to him in Northampton is one of the best vets in the country and an expert in dentistry for piggies.

Guinea Pig Vet Locator Is our vet locator. Pop your postcode in. As Helen said Simon if you can get to him in Northampton is one of the best vets in the country and an expert in dentistry for piggies.
I went to the vet that was recommended on this website today. I got my little boy admitted :( they're gonna feed him and give him his medication. His gut has slowed down now so they will inject him something that should get it moving again.

I went to the vet that was recommended on this website today. I got my little boy admitted :( they're gonna feed him and give him his medication. His gut has slowed down now so they will inject him something that should get it moving again.
Got my fingers crossed for him xx

Usually I would suggest you go to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton if you are able to travel? however, he is away until the 18th. It is normal for a pig to not eat straight after a dental as it can take them a day or so to get used to new teeth but this does worry me if he can't take any food. Can you get him back to your vet and ask that they admit him for feeding? if there is no food going in he will start to shut down. Do you know what the vet did during the dental?
Yeah I got him admitted somewhere else today. They're gonna help him hopefully.

Guys the vet just told called me saying he has it really ill over night and doesn't react to the medication he was given. She doesn't think he's gonna make it and suggested to put him to sleep. I don't know what to do here I'm having a breakdown he's my baby I can't let him go yet he needs to get better. I'm so upset I don't know what to do.

I'm so sorry, from what you have posted previously though it was not possible to get any food into him, which would mean he would start to shut down. I agree with the vet that it would be kinder to let him go. It is such a hard decision to make but it is the kindest thing we can do for them when they are not responding to treatment.

I agree it might be better to let him go. Can you get down the vets, so you can hold him when he passes. I know a lot of people can't do that. That's fine but I've always been there when anyone of my pets passes, I like to hand them over. My thoughts are with, you so sorry

I'm so sorry, from what you have posted previously though it was not possible to get any food into him, which would mean he would start to shut down. I agree with the vet that it would be kinder to let him go. It is such a hard decision to make but it is the kindest thing we can do for them when they are not responding to treatment.
They said he had like a breathing fit before I came today and they had to give him some oxygen, at this point, do you think even the cat and rabbit clinic in Northampton would not help at all? I went to see him he was very weak but he didn't seem like ready to go yet. It's all my fault I shouldn't have let him have the surgery.

If he is that weak then I don't think they could as the 2 vets that do dentals are on holiday and not back until the 18th and I don't think it is fair to leave him until then if he is struggling. Usually I would suggest making the trip but with them on holiday it is not an option. Please don't blame yourself for going ahead with the dental.

I was once told that it is better to let them go a day too early than a second too late and I always try to follow this with my pigs.

It's NOT your fault. If he's very weak, & had to have oxygen I think the kindest thing would to let him go.
This is the kindest gift a piggy slave can give there pet. He could be in a lot of pain, piggies won't show it. If he was my piggy I would let him go. However the final decision is yours

Ok guys. I couldn't do this yesterday so I'm letting you know now. I had to put my little boy to sleep yesterday. I went to see him and he bad another one of his fits when he went on his side and couldn't breathe and was shaking. I decided it would be better for him to go. I'm absolutely heartbroken because I was so attached to him and he was literally my everything. I loved him so much and always will. I'm extremely upset and can't stop crying. I really just don't know what to do. But I know it was better for him I just can't believe he's gone :( thank you everybody for your replies I really really do appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back