• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Can I Feed My Guinea Pigs To Spice Up Their Boring Daily Food Routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie&JayJay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and don't quite know how it works, so sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place.
I have two guinea pigs, Cookie and Jay Jay. They are both super fat and eat a lot, but everyday eat the same boring things, like cabbage, silver beet, red and yellow silver beet, stuff like that. They are kind of picky and don't really like fruit. I want to feed them something new, and i need ideas to spice up their diet and any ideas to make them happy, and fun exercise ideas for them? Apparently guinea pigs love weet-bix? Please help, any would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Cookie and Jay Jays Owner :)

My piggies are currently loving coriander/cilantro. But they love anything herby on occasion. I like to check out the mark down bins at the supermarket for veg thats still fresh, I can usually find something they like or might like but if they dont like it then i havnt wasted a whole heap of money. Mine dont like fruit much either.

Mine love Bell Peppers and dig them out to eat first every time. Ive tried lots of different veg and they definitely like peppers and Parsley best. I just printed off the list of suitable foods that I found on this site and buy different things at the supermarket from on the list. They soon show you there favourite.

Typical daily salad for my boys is:
Lettuce (romaine, little gem, it varies)
Raddichio
Tomato (tiny pieces)
Bell pepper
Sometimes a bit of lambs lettuce
Sometimes dandelion leaves
Of course, the number one golden rule is- moderation. For example, feeding loads of lettuce and tiny bits of other things wouldn't be as good as feeding small amounts of everything. We used to feed twice daily, but now we've found once daily suits us. You'll find your pattern!

Mine love Bell Peppers and dig them out to eat first every time. Ive tried lots of different veg and they definitely like peppers and Parsley best. I just printed off the list of suitable foods that I found on this site and buy different things at the supermarket from on the list. They soon show you there favourite.
Thanks for replying, I tried red pepper on them this morning, as well as tomato, and they weren't interested in either! I will try parsley, and will find a suitable list, thanks so much!

Typical daily salad for my boys is:
Lettuce (romaine, little gem, it varies)
Raddichio
Tomato (tiny pieces)
Bell pepper
Sometimes a bit of lambs lettuce
Sometimes dandelion leaves
Of course, the number one golden rule is- moderation. For example, feeding loads of lettuce and tiny bits of other things wouldn't be as good as feeding small amounts of everything. We used to feed twice daily, but now we've found once daily suits us. You'll find your pattern!

Wow that is honestly so helpful! Thanks for replying, and I will definitely be varying their foods, and hopefully making them happier piggies!

My piggies are currently loving coriander/cilantro. But they love anything herby on occasion. I like to check out the mark down bins at the supermarket for veg thats still fresh, I can usually find something they like or might like but if they dont like it then i havnt wasted a whole heap of money. Mine dont like fruit much either.
Thanks!

My advice is shop- buy everything from peppers to tomatoes to parsley to romaine lettuce, then make them a salad with a tiny bit of everything. See what they leave:))
When we first tried with pepper, they just put their teeth on it and ignored it. So we tried a bit, then gave ip. Then I decided to try a bit more, and now, well, Godfrey thinks it's an eating competition. (He sometimes eats so fast he coughs, sausageXD)

My advice is shop- buy everything from peppers to tomatoes to parsley to romaine lettuce, then make them a salad with a tiny bit of everything. See what they leave:))
When we first tried with pepper, they just put their teeth on it and ignored it. So we tried a bit, then gave ip. Then I decided to try a bit more, and now, well, Godfrey thinks it's an eating competition. (He sometimes eats so fast he coughs, sausageXD)
My two wouldnt even try the red or green pepper/capsicum lol but then one day i gave them yellow peppers and now they eat all peppers. It was weird.

Mine get lettuce, bell pepper and celery daily. Then they also get a grape, cherry tomato, coriander on a carrousel. As a treat they also sometimes get broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and parsley. They are fed twice daily. Lettuce and coriander is their favourite.
IMG_1793.JPG

Mine get lettuce, bell pepper and celery daily. Then they also get a grape, cherry tomato, coriander on a carrousel. As a treat they also sometimes get broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and parsley. They are fed twice daily. Lettuce and coriander is their favourite.
View attachment 54455
Thank you, that is helpful! I will have to try them on coriander. We don't grow any, but I'll find some :) Your piggies are adorable!

My girls don't like fruit so far. I've tied Apple, melon, satsuma and kiwi. Their favourites are spinach, celery, green and red peppers and cabbage. They also enjoyed some broccoli tonight. They also love carrot.

My two wouldnt even try the red or green pepper/capsicum lol but then one day i gave them yellow peppers and now they eat all peppers. It was weird.
It's like with humans- weird example, I got some truffles as a free sample, at first I found them seriously bitter, now I love them. I suppose we have to keep persevering, thought it feels like my boys will eat anything- including my hair.

My two adore green/yellow peppers, mixed salad leaves, cucumber, tomato, coriander, banana, cabbage, spring greens, broccoli etc! I buy the bags of mixed salad leaves to add variety!

It's like with humans- weird example, I got some truffles as a free sample, at first I found them seriously bitter, now I love them. I suppose we have to keep persevering, thought it feels like my boys will eat anything- including my hair.
Oh haha, my piggies can be like that, they always go for nibbling on fingers, and clothes!

When I'm holding Godfrey and checking that the lump is his belly button, not something worse (so far, it hasn't got bigger) he reaches up and bites my chin, ouch! They bite clothes, hair, skin, fleece, cage bars, they're so nibbly!

If they ignore a new food, try giving it again a week later. Mine always left green beans, gave them again a couple of weeks later and now they love them!
I've also found that when trying new food, give it on it's own at a time they don't usually get veg. Mine seem more likely to try it when there is no other choice.

If they ignore a new food, try giving it again a week later. Mine always left green beans, gave them again a couple of weeks later and now they love them!
I've also found that when trying new food, give it on it's own at a time they don't usually get veg. Mine seem more likely to try it when there is no other choice.
Yeah, thanks, I think I will try pepper and tomato again tomorrow on them, the poor pigs have been having silverbeet all month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back