• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What is this substance coming out of my male guinea pigs hole?

ginaadams

New Born Pup
Reaction score
D3F9C40A-227B-4DE3-BD76-93046D031008.jpegMy male guinea pig who is at least 2 years old has not been peeing for 2 or more days but instead, has been having this substance come out of his urethra/peehole. I’ve looked up symptoms online, trying to find this exact substance but haven’t been able to find anything similar. It can either be a UTI, bladder/kidney stone (even tho most of this is just soft) or anything else. The substance is clear/see through with green undertones. The brown part looks to either be feces or a crushed up food pellet. I sadly can not afford to take my pig to a vet and I have to wait until tomorrow to do anything. My pig hasn’t eat pellets in days, eats mostly hay and sometimes drinks water. I just wish I knew what this substance was so I could do something about this. Today so far has been his best day but despite that, I still worry about him not defecating. Please help if you have any useful information, thank you.

If your piggie has not had a wee in two days he def needs to see a vet. I notice you mentioned that you can't afford the vet atm could you borrow the money from someone? Most of us on here have vet funds where we put a bit by each month so that the money is there when needed. :)

I’m afraid that I agree with the above posters that he really does need to see a vet. Not being able to urinate is a medical emergency.

as already mentioned, is there anyone who could lend you the money?

Did you find out what this was? I've taken my guinea pig into the vets this morning, similar stuff was found in his urethra, the vet didn't know what it was, she is keeping him there for a few hours to examine the stuff under a microscope. His bladder was very full of very thick white urine which she squeezed out, poor boy.

Did you find out what this was? I've taken my guinea pig into the vets this morning, similar stuff was found in his urethra, the vet didn't know what it was, she is keeping him there for a few hours to examine the stuff under a microscope. His bladder was very full of very thick white urine which she squeezed out, poor boy.

@yvette langford. Thick white urine can often be due to excess calcium (sludge/stones) - what do you feed your piggy on a daily basis?

@yvette langford. Thick white urine can often be due to excess calcium (sludge/stones) - what do you feed your piggy on a daily basis?
Turns out the white substance was sperm rod. However the vet was still unable to diagnose why my Guineas bladder wasn’t emptying. She took x-ray, did an ultrasound and flushed his urethra. I’ve been sent home with antibiotics and pain killers. Wish I knew what was wrong:(

Turns out the white substance was sperm rod. However the vet was still unable to diagnose why my Guineas bladder wasn’t emptying. She took x-ray, did an ultrasound and flushed his urethra. I’ve been sent home with antibiotics and pain killers. Wish I knew what was wrong:(
She couldn’t find any stones either

A sperm rod is completely normal.
Is your piggy able to urinate at all? It would be worth you starting your own new thread about this in the health and illness section.

A sperm rod is completely normal.
Is your piggy able to urinate at all? It would be worth you starting your own new thread about this in the health and illness section.
Yes he’s able to urinate, but not enough it would seem. I’m wondering if it is possible for the sperm rod to cause a blockage, or semi blockage. I’ll create a new post for this, see if anyone else has had this issue

Back