• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2guineapigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question that I'm struggling to find the answer to.
I read that it is highly discouraged for a female guinea pig to live with 2 unneutered male guinea pigs as if the female were to pregnant, it would cause a lot of problems.
However, my boys are just older than 4 (meaning that I think they're infertile) and the girl is around 3 yrs.
So is this exception allowed? Can they still live together?

Thanks so much

Hi and welcome!
You'll get a fuller answer from forum staff but both male and female guinea pigs never lose the ability to reproduce, 2 male guinea pigs may fight to the death in with a female and breeding is unethical when there are so many unwanted piggies. So that is a resounding no :)

Hallo & wlecome!
:agr: with @Black piggies , 2 males with a female wouldn't work and could be disastrous. Please don't even try it.

Can I ask where you got the idea that older piggies become infertile etc? Is it somewhere on the internet, or were you just assuming that piggies are like humans in that way?

Hallo & wlecome!
:agr: with @Black piggies , 2 males with a female wouldn't work and could be disastrous. Please don't even try it.

Can I ask where you got the idea that older piggies become infertile etc? Is it somewhere on the internet, or were you just assuming that piggies are like humans in that way?
Hi! thanks for replying. Yes, it was somewhere on the internet

Have you found yourself with 3 guinea pigs? The two in the avatar are very cute. 2 boys can never be bonded with 1 female. If you have a lone female, she'll need to be bonded with 1 neutered male or a female.

I can only agree with the others. Putting a sow in with two boars would cause no end of problems, fights, and separated piggies. Please do not do it. Ideally any sows should be kept in an entirely separate room to any boars. For a boar pair, simply smelling a sow in the same room (even if they are not in the same cage) can cause the two boys to fight and fall out.
Also, as mentioned above, boars never become infertile so they absolutely will get a sow pregnant at any time and throughout their entire live. The issue is as a sow gets older, if she was to get pregnant the risks to her life and to those of the pups becomes greater

Last edited:
Hello! As others have said this is not a good idea. You’re better to get another boar who is neutered or get him neutered To go with the single female.

You can have the bonded pair on a lower level with the boys on top no problem. This is how I’ve always kept my piggies. This means two separate cages. The boys cannot see the females. As long as the boys are on a higher level it will be fine.

Ideally your best bet is to just keep your two bonded boars if you haven’t already got a female.

I can only agree with the others. Putting a sow in with two boars would cause no end of problems, fights, and separated piggies. Please do not do it. Ideally any sows should be kept in an entirely separate room to any boars. For a boar pair, simply smelling a sow in the same room (even if they are not in the same cage) can cause the two boys to fight and fall out.
Also, as mentioned above, boars never become infertile so they absolutely will get a sow pregnant at any time and throughout their entire live. The issue is as a sow gets older, if she was to get pregnant the risks to her life and to those of the pups becomes greater
okay, thank you so much for your insightful reply

Hello! As others have said this is not a good idea. You’re better to get another boar who is neutered or get him neutered To go with the single female.

You can have the bonded pair on a lower level with the boys on top no problem. This is how I’ve always kept my piggies. This means two separate cages. The boys cannot see the females. As long as the boys are on a higher level it will be fine.

Ideally your best bet is to just keep your two bonded boars if you haven’t already got a female.
noted. Thanks so much :)

Two main points:
Pigs don't become infertile with age. They can breed their whole lives. There's no reason to think that your boys are not very fertile!
It's not pregnancy that strains the bond between two males, it's the competition for the female. So even if the female was spayed, the bond between the boys will break as they become each others' competition for the female.

Back