• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice on Spaying a six year old piggy

EJMA82

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wishing you all the best today and a speedy recovery for your piggy x

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All the best to you and your piggy, I really hope it all goes smoothly - everything crossed for you! Update us all later :) xx
Wishing you all the best today and a speedy recovery for your piggy x
Thank you for your wishes...

Ive just dropped her off, got out the doors and burst out crying, I just hope she's okay 😰 Thank you all once more ❣❣

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Long story short, Honey hasn't had her operation today, there was an emergency case where they are trying to save a dogs life and so she will be having the operation on Monday, so the worry continues! I guess updates continue on Monday

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I dear.
You get yourself all psyched up and then nothing.
Well - we will just have to hold you in thought all weekend and on Monday.
Hope they managed to save the dog.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I dear.
You get yourself all psyched up and then nothing.
Well - we will just have to hold you in thought all weekend and on Monday.
Hope they managed to save the dog.
Yeah, longest 4 hours of my life and it's got us anywhere, but never mind, I can't be annoyed, if it was my dog I would want it to be prioritised over Honey, just need to be understandable in a scenario like this... and they said they could be still operating on the dog until 4, so it seems pretty bad 😰
She's now sitting munching on some hay, her poops were a bit soggy, think she's had too many veggies 😂 wasn't expecting the vets to have fed her veggies until after her operation but looks like they fed them to her whilst she waited 😂

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Relax and enjoy your weekend together.
The poor dog sounds like its needs are greater. I respect any vets who prioritise emergencies and the pull on their resources. I’d far rather surgery was delayed rather than rushed at the end of the day.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Relax and enjoy your weekend together.
The poor dog sounds like its needs are greater. I respect any vets who prioritise emergencies and the pull on their resources. I’d far rather surgery was delayed rather than rushed at the end of the day.
They definitely were, no doubt about that, as cliche as it is, everything happens for a reason..

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guys idk if this is just me worrying, but since honey for home, her bum just seems to be wet.... when I picked her out her carrier, she was rather wet on her underside and I assumed it was just where she had sat in her urine and didn't have much room to move or whatever, her poops were soft but put this down to too many veggies in a short space of time... Ive just come to check on her and picked her up and her bum is dirty, and she's rather wet... I've now lightly blow dried her off, so I can see if she gets wet again... should I be worried?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Guys idk if this is just me worrying, but since honey for home, her bum just seems to be wet.... when I picked her out her carrier, she was rather wet on her underside and I assumed it was just where she had sat in her urine and didn't have much room to move or whatever, her poops were soft but put this down to too many veggies in a short space of time... Ive just come to check on her and picked her up and her bum is dirty, and she's rather wet... I've now lightly blow dried her off, so I can see if she gets wet again... should I be worried?
Had the vet given her some pre-med injections already before the op was cancelled? If she had lots of sub-cutaneous fluids and a sedative that might make her pee a lot and not bother getting up? Last weekend when Puggle was ill with bloat she was soaked with pee after the vet gave her 10mls of sub-cutaneous fluids and a sedative/painkiller injection...

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had the vet given her some pre-med injections already before the op was cancelled? If she had lots of sub-cutaneous fluids and a sedative that might make her pee a lot and not bother getting up? Last weekend when Puggle was ill with bloat she was soaked with pee after the vet gave her 10mls of sub-cutaneous fluids and a sedative/painkiller injection...
They mentioned nothing to me, however they may have, I'm not sure, I'll give them a call and find out, I'm quite concerned though, she's not herself but she doesn't seem too bothered if you get me? Maybe it's just stress of the day and too many veggies?

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just phoned the vets. She was given metcam and a post op pain killer, I guess this could explain it, been advised to just keep an eye on her, and it's more than likely the veggies as the vet said the medication should now be out of her system, lord I hope this isn't a start to a downward spiral

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on her. If a spay has been recommended due to cysts then it could be that they are causing her to leak urine. This is what happened with my bumble

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keep an eye on her. If a spay has been recommended due to cysts then it could be that they are causing her to leak urine. This is what happened with my bumble
Possibly, but this would've all occurred during the 4 hours she was at the vets. Would it be possible that the medication she was given and given her lack of urine control? Her poops seem to be looking a little better which is good! Gonna just keep and eye on her, if it is the cysts causing her to leak urine, at least there's only 2 more days until they're got rid off!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly, but this would've all occurred during the 4 hours she was at the vets. Would it be possible that the medication she was given and given her lack of urine control? Her poops seem to be looking a little better which is good! Gonna just keep and eye on her, if it is the cysts causing her to leak urine, at least there's only 2 more days until they're got rid off!
I've never known pain relief to cause these symptoms. However, when cysts cause problems they have to start at one particular moment and it could be coincidence. I'm far from an expert in these matters but I would monitor food, output and weight over the next couple of days and any big changes then seek a vets opinion