• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jillyp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I've not long joined the Guinea Forum but have read it a lot before for advice. I trust this forum and need some advice from experienced guinea owners as my poor Marcus has been passed from vet to vet (in the same practice) as they can't find the problem. Three weeks ago during a general weekly check, I noticed white spots on Marcus's skin on the inside around his willy. The spots were weeping and smelly. The vet prescribed baytril, 0.5 cat loxicom (0.5 strength) and to wash the whole area with pre-boiled water and cotton buds. After 10 days it was worse - the spots (weeping lesions) had grown double the size, so I took him back. A different vet prescribed 0.33ml of dog loxicom (1.5 strength) and to keep washing it. By Friday he was worse so I took him back. A different vet prescribed 0.5 dog loxicom(1.5 strength) TWICE per day and no washing or anything, just leave the whole area alone. That was Friday. Today (Sunday) he is looking depressed and I looked and think I do need to clean his willy area as it is very smelly and tiny bits of hay and hair in there.
Can anyone help? Has anyone come across this in a guinea before and any ideas what it may and how to treat it. The end of his penis has become so sore and red, it looks like the damage is spreading and he's clearly in pain, especially when he wees.
Thanks so much - sorry it's an essay but I wanted to give full background x

Hello and welcome. Sorry, I can’t offer much advise but I’m wondering if he needs a stronger antibiotic other than baytril?

One of our health experts should be along shortly to offer further advise x

Hi Claire W, thanks for your reply. The strength Baytril he had was 2.5% and a 0.3ml dose twice a day so not ever so strong. Ok I'll wait to see if they have suggestions. I wondered if it may be a fungal infection.

Have they taken any swabs from the weeping spots?
If it isnt getting better with baytril and is instead getting worse, then it’s either that baytril isn’t strong enough and there other antibiotics (stronger than baytril) which can be tried. The alternative is that it isn’t bacterial at all.

Have they taken any swabs from the weeping spots?
If it isnt getting better with baytril and is instead getting worse, then it’s either that baytril isn’t strong enough and there other antibiotics (stronger than baytril) which can be tried. The alternative is that it isn’t bacterial at all.
:agr: with @Piggies&buns that a lab test as to whether it is bacterial and to which antibiotic it is reactive (there are stronger ones that are not licensed for guinea pigs) or whether it is caused by something different that does not react to an antibiotic (which is my suspicion as the baytril doesn't even seem to have a dampening effect). At this stage you are past medicating by trial and error.

I haven't come across anything like this on here, as far as I can remember, so it is not something common. :(

Hi, thanks, yes they took a swab when I went back on Friday. It will be a week before it's back. Not sure why they didn't take it on Tues or offer stronger baytril.

In that case all you can really do is wait for the results.
It’s not really a matter of trying stronger baytril, if it’s bacterial and it could need an entirely different antibiotic. As Wiebke has said though, even if it is bacterial but baytril isn’t quite the right antibiotic for it, you would still expect to see it help a little even if it couldnt cure it. The fact it is getting worse with antibiotic does make you wonder whether it isn’t bacterial at all, and in that case antibiotics won’t help

In that case all you can really do is wait for the results.
It’s not really a matter of trying stronger baytril, if it’s bacterial and it could need an entirely different antibiotic. As Wiebke has said though, even if it is bacterial but baytril isn’t quite the right antibiotic for it, you would still expect to see it help a little even if it couldnt cure it. The fact it is getting worse with antibiotic does make you wonder whether it isn’t bacterial at all, and in that case antibiotics won’t help
I see, I hope the swab will be able to define how to treat it but I'll not hear til the end of the week. If it is more likely fungal would cannesten help, do you think it's worth trying or just leave until the results? Poor chap is in agony when he wees.

Please don’t try any other product yourself - you can so easily make things worse by diy treating.

Thanks for your help, no I wouldn't try any old thing, only if someone had confirmed on here that it works. I'll just have to continue as we are and keep a close eye on him until Friday and hope he gets no worse - I wish my local vets had more experience with guineas!

I’ve nothing to add by way of constructive help but just wanted to offer moral support as you wait for the results of the swab. Poor fellow, it sounds very uncomfortable for him.

I’ve nothing to add by way of constructive help but just wanted to offer moral support as you wait for the results of the swab. Poor fellow, it sounds very uncomfortable for him.
Hi, thanks so much. It is, poor boy. It seems like it's an unusual case. Thanks for your support :)

Back