• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bbddf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guinea lovers,

I've had some amazing help on here, some of which I haven't always had time to respond to, but is much appreciated. This is an amazing online community and I am grateful for all of the information here.

I have my two boars who fell out booked in for neutering on the 25th. They are two years old, reintroducing hasn't worked and in have settled on a show companion for them instead of more boars/potential trouble as there is no boar dating in NZ.

The vet is lovely. She has her own pet guinea pigs and a great interest in small animal medicine. She is from Ireland and has neutered ferrets, chinchillas, rabbits, rats and guinea pigs. In the past year off the top of her head she said she has done 10 guinea pig neuters/castrations. She graduated from vet school in 2009.

She has said she uses a combination of three medications prior to anaesthesia to put them in a relaxed state for going under. She uses isoflurane gas. She can't see any ill health in my boys, and they are also big boys (not overweight, just solid).

Now, I have this terrible fear of losing them and have done a little bit of crying over the idea. I am scared they'll just drop dead on the table, or a few days afterwards.

Some questions I have..
How long does the surgery take, is it simple?
Do guinea pigs under anaesthesia for shorter amounts of time recover better from it?
Is her past history enough to have her trust?
Is isoflurane the best and safest method?
Do you have any tips?
Do you have any comfort, or success stories?
Does anyone know what actually causes anaesthesia deaths or complications?

Honestly, I had such a good feeling from her and the vet consult room was very neat and tidy, with good staff. She has said she has neutered some guinea pigs at the SPCA for free in her spare time. I haven't had any bad gut feeling, everything has been going in the right direction and smoothly. I've secured two girlfriends for them already who are the same age. The only feeling I get in my belly is waves and rolls of nerves or worry. I'm just freaking out with anxiety, but I know it's what is best for their livelihood.

Help please! Anything to make me feel more relaxed!

Most piggies(even older ones) make it out of surgery absolutely fine. So hold onto that. Yes there is a risk, but hopefully it should be marginal if she is experienced. If you trust her generally then I think you should trust her with your boys.

With regards the gas I have absolutely no clue. I’ve not yet had any of my piggies out under.

You say you have sows lined up already, will they be bonded at the rescue or will you be doing it yourself? Compatibility is more important than age, so I would wait it out if possible then take them dating so they choose their own.

All the best with the surgery and have a read through the post-op care guide.
Guinea pig castration explained
Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Most piggies(even older ones) make it out of surgery absolutely fine. So hold onto that. Yes there is a risk, but hopefully it should be marginal if she is experienced. If you trust her generally then I think you should trust her with your boys.

With regards the gas I have absolutely no clue. I’ve not yet had any of my piggies out under.

You say you have sows lined up already, will they be bonded at the rescue or will you be doing it yourself? Compatibility is more important than age, so I would wait it out if possible then take them dating so they choose their own.

All the best with the surgery and have a read through the post-op care guide.
Guinea pig castration explained
Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Thank you for your reply Siikibam! It is all about having faith in someone at the end of the day and yes, holding onto it with hope!

That's ok!

I will be doing it myself. There are no guinea pig rescues where I am and in a sense I am rescuing them from someone who can't take care of them anymore, needing a home. I've read that most boys and girls will get along, and I've met one of the girls whose temperament seems as if she will fit well with one of my boys. I am hoping out of two girls there will be two matches! They will be living side by side after 3 weeks to get used to each other and that way I can see which two interact more with each other.

Thank you so very much, and I will be sure to check out those links! 😀

I can’t help with the specifics of your questions, but I have had a boar neutered in the past and I was scared too. He came through beautifully however and was right as reign 🙂

My best friend is also a vet and I know how much she cares for all of her patients, so if you get a good feeling from yours and if she has a good history (which it certainly sounds like to me), then I would say she is a good option. Of course, nothing is ever risk free, but sometimes we have to put ourselves as piggy parents through a sleepless night or two to give our pigs the best (which in this case is guinea pig wives ☺️)

Thank you for your reply Siikibam! It is all about having faith in someone at the end of the day and yes, holding onto it with hope!

That's ok!

I will be doing it myself. There are no guinea pig rescues where I am and in a sense I am rescuing them from someone who can't take care of them anymore, needing a home. I've read that most boys and girls will get along, and I've met one of the girls whose temperament seems as if she will fit well with one of my boys. I am hoping out of two girls there will be two matches! They will be living side by side after 3 weeks to get used to each other and that way I can see which two interact more with each other.

Thank you so very much, and I will be sure to check out those links! 😀
The sow has to accept the boar for them to be matched. Just be sure you have space to house separately in case any don’t like each other. And make sure the boys can’t escape and get in with them - you’d be surprised how athletic they could become if they smell a sow nearby.

Also make sure you quarantine the girls for two weeks before you house them in the room with the boys, and get them checked over by the vet as well.

Good luck, exciting times ahead 😄

Back