• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cut On Young Guinea Pig, Vet Worthy?

christinaa2025

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i have three guinea pigs, two of which were just introduced about a week ago. they are getting alone fine and playing well but one morning i noticed a cut on one's face. it almost looks white powdery around it and is scabbing a lot. i've been gently cleaning it and it doesn't seem to be bothering him, but i don't want to risk it getting worse. i attached a picture but obviously he didn't want to stay still so it's a bit difficult to see. any advice would be much much appreciated.

IMG_9829.PNG

IMG_9828.JPG

Take him to the vet. It doesn't look good. Only a vet can diagnose what it is and treatment. Don't leave it or treat on spec. It'll only get worse.

Take him to the vet. It doesn't look good. Only a vet can diagnose what it is and treatment. Don't leave it or treat on spec. It'll only get worse.
i just noticed that he has a patchy raw looking spot on his back too. he's going to the vet asap, thank you.

If it is something transferable between guinea pigs eg mite remember to treat all of your piggies. My Dennis had mite a few weeks ago and the vet said just to watch the other 4 but I am still treating them as I don't want a merry go round of mites going from one pig to another. After the 2nd treatment of the other 4 at the weekend I'm giving the hutch a thorough clean and dowsing everything in F10.

If it is something transferable between guinea pigs eg mite remember to treat all of your piggies. My Dennis had mite a few weeks ago and the vet said just to watch the other 4 but I am still treating them as I don't want a merry go round of mites going from one pig to another. After the 2nd treatment of the other 4 at the weekend I'm giving the hutch a thorough clean and dowsing everything in F10.
from what i've been researching I'm pretty sure Oliver's got a fungal infection but mites are similar to i don't know for sure. i seperated them for now but for how much the play together and snuggle i doubt it matters at this point. vet appointment friday, if it gets worse i'll take him somewhere before that. thanks so much for your help.

Back