• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What do you think is best for him?

• Total voters

PiggiesAndPaws

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there, my guinea pig has been having strokes since September and I really have no idea what to do! I can’t take him to the vets because they’re all closed, he’s paralysed and can only move his front two paws slightly, he’s still pooping but he looks like he’s dead. I know that he’s still alive because he’s blinking, his heart is dimly beating and he’s breathing. He’s been through this before but it has never been this serious. Does anyone have any advice?

If worse comes to worst I’ll consider leaving him to pass away comfortably if he’s in too much pain.
85EC6B40-ABB1-4ED4-A8A1-523064A6A8BB.jpeg
Please don’t give advice like “rush him to the vet!” That’s not helpful!

I know you said that you couldn’t get him to a vet but are there any emergency vets that you could go to? If not I would try your best to comfort him, maybe have him in your lap and cuddle him so he’s calm? Give him his favourite treats is he’ll eat?

I know you said that you couldn’t get him to a vet but are there any emergency vets that you could go to? If not I would try your best to comfort him, maybe have him in your lap and cuddle him so he’s calm? Give him his favourite treats is he’ll eat?
Thank you, however he’s refusing to eat, drink and move. This could be because of the paralysis. He’s on my lap and I’m stroking him to calm him. I decided to split him up from his cage mate because he’s overweight and kept stomping on Buddy (the sick piggy). Unfortunately, I can’t take him to the vets but thank you for the advice :)

This is so sad, and I am so sorry this has happened, but please take him to see an emergency vet x

I know you don't think it's helpful, but could you try ringing the vets for an emergency vets number /or different veterinary practice appointment, or get him to any local/general vet.
He looks very ill bless him, would you consider having him pts? He will suffer if he's just left to die- as his body shuts down slowly he'll probably start to seizure & run to rainbow Bridge, this is a very upsetting & distressing stage for both of you :(
If he's euthanized/pts it's usually an anaesthesic gas & then an injection when he's not conscious & aware of what's going on.
It's still upsetting to have to do it & make the choice, but quick & painless in the long run.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time, sorry he's so ill
Xx :hug:

Hi there, my guinea pig has been having strokes since September and I really have no idea what to do! I can’t take him to the vets because they’re all closed, he’s paralysed and can only move his front two paws slightly, he’s still pooping but he looks like he’s dead. I know that he’s still alive because he’s blinking, his heart is dimly beating and he’s breathing. He’s been through this before but it has never been this serious. Does anyone have any advice?

If worse comes to worst I’ll consider leaving him to pass away comfortably if he’s in too much pain.
View attachment 100091
Please don’t give advice like “rush him to the vet!” That’s not helpful!

Hi!

If you can, please take him to an out-of-hours vet (google for services in your area) to send him to the Rainbow Bridge as the gentlest way to speed up the hourney he is already on.

If not you can't access any vet services, please keep him as quiet and comfortable as you can. Half heat a mircrowaveable snugglesafe, so it is warm but not hot.

BIG HUGS

So sorry for the situation you’re in.
It’s a hard thing to watch.
Holding you in my thoughts

Thank you to everyone who replied. I am incredibly grateful. Yesterday he passed away comfortably and calmy surrounded by his family. <3

I’m so sorry for your loss, rip little one

Back