• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

lucyr

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my 4 year old guinea pig Trixie has got a red lump on one eye? I just noticed it and it wasn’t there 3 days ago when I last checked her eyes. I have attached a picture. I think I need to contact the vet, I’m wondering if anyone has any idea what this is exactly. Should I attempt to clean it at home with sterile water?

Attachments

• 9296086A-2CEF-413A-8E0F-FE4FC435AF7D.jpeg
    9296086A-2CEF-413A-8E0F-FE4FC435AF7D.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
The exact same thing happened to my guinea pig some weeks ago - it was probably a hay poke. As I could not get her to the vet asap - I very carefully dripped regular eyedrops (just saltwater solution from the Pharmacy) to clean her eye while she got a bit of cucumber to sit still. After two days the lump suddenly had disappeared overnight and she was back to normal. Mine was acting and eating like usual during both days. Recommended to have a vet check the eye for any hidden damage as soon as possible :)

The exact same thing happened to my guinea pig some weeks ago - it was probably a hay poke. As I could not get her to the vet asap - I very carefully dripped regular eyedrops (just saltwater solution from the Pharmacy) to clean her eye while she got a bit of cucumber to sit still. After two days the lump suddenly had disappeared overnight and she was back to normal. Mine was acting and eating like usual during both days. Recommended to have a vet check the eye for any hidden damage as soon as possible :)
Thank you for replying. Glad your guinea pig is okay now. Trixie is acting completely normal, she’s still eating/walking/playing like normal and doesn’t seem in pain. I will book a vet appointment for her. Thanks again:)

Thank you for replying. Glad your guinea pig is okay now. Trixie is acting completely normal, she’s still eating/walking/playing like normal and doesn’t seem in pain. I will book a vet appointment for her. Thanks again:)
Hope you will get a vet appointment quickly ;)
Please wait for the guinea pig health-experts to also give their opinions - I only experienced this once with my guinea pig - and from when I searched the forum for this issue, it seems that lumps in the eye could be an indication of various things ;)

Such a lump appearing may not be a haypoke, there are other conditions which can cause such lumps to appear.
My experiences of haypoke are just noticing a cloudiness to the eye as ulceration had occurred, not lumps like your picture.
Please have your piggy checked by a vet. Don’t be tempted to do anything to it in the meantime

Such a lump appearing may not be a haypoke, there are other conditions which can cause such lumps to appear.
My experiences of haypoke are just noticing a cloudiness to the eye as ulceration had occurred, not lumps like your picture.
Please have your piggy checked by a vet. Don’t be tempted to do anything to it in the meantime
Thanks, I am going to get her an appointment asap. Thanks for replying.

I took her to the vets today, and they gave us some eye drops to apply twice a day for a week and if it doesn’t clear up then to take her back. I’m hoping these drops work, she was very brave and still seems perfectly happy. Once again thanks for all your replies.

I took her to the vets today, and they gave us some eye drops to apply twice a day for a week and if it doesn’t clear up then to take her back. I’m hoping these drops work, she was very brave and still seems perfectly happy. Once again thanks for all your replies.

Happy to hear she is still seeming completely fine - hope the drops will heal her eye quickly! ;)

Back