• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lucyscavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m just wondering how much should you take your piggies out of their cage or give them lap time? How important is this and how much do you let your piggies have floor and lap time? Is once a week enough or should it be more? Thanks x

Ideally floor time is a much as you can manage as their form of exercise and time out of the cage.
My piggies live in a shed so have a large space anyway but during the summer and warm days, they are out in their garden run every day.

I only take the piggies out for weighing and health check, nail trimming or to go in their run in/outdoor. I don’t tend to give them lap time, except maybe 2-3mins when out for weighing or nail trims. They quite enjoy it (the boys especially) and so do I, but I enjoy seeing them in their environment.

Do Floor time as much as you can, and lap time follow their guide. Just be aware not all piggies like being held. Some prefer to roam around or maybe be sat next to you and exploring.

Mine are not interested in being held. They are handled to get them from cage to carrier etc and for nails/groom etc but that’s it really. I did sneak in a few minutes cuddles with each of them today, but it’s a rare thing.
They get floor time at weekends only, when they have free-roam of my dining room and go in their outside run for an hour or so when weather allows. Their cage is a 7x2, so is quite big, and I don’t feel bad about free roam only being at weekends

My piggies hate being cuddled. Whenever they hear my voice when I wake up in the morning, they scramble out of the way and hide (I usually wanted to cuddle each one of them to say good morning but I fail most of the time). 😂 The only time I can cuddle them for a few minutes is during weighing time or cage cleaning time and they are in the way, or when trimming their nails. And that's when I get the most of it (5mins each is at most they tolerate). They also don't like being on the sofa. So if I can manage to pick them up without a fuss, that means something isn't right with them health wise. My piggies are free range in our living room apart from bed time, so they get plenty of exercise.

My two boys get floortime everyday. It is important to give them exercise and stimulation as they are intelligent. I'm sure it would be fine if you can't manage everyday but I really enjoy spending my evening with them so that's what I choose to do.

Back