• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help A Piggy Mama Out: Bonded Boars Suddenly Hate Each Other.

kikidee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two boys- Max and Maverick. I've had them for about 6 mos and they have always squabbled and done the whole dominance thing, but they never seriously fought. As an example, they would have (what I call) chatter fights where they get angry and circle each other but they never actually fought.

Well, about 3 weeks ago all piggy hell broke loose, and they were chatter fighting more aggressively.

The day before they started fighting:
I gave both piggies baths separately and then took one piggy (Maverick) out of the cage for a few hours and left Max in their newly cleaned cage. When I returned home with Maverick, I put him back in the cage with his brother and they started chattering immediately. Question 1: Could separating them or leaving one of them in the clean cage have caused this?

They started getting into actual fights. I noticed Max was missing some hair around his eye, but I read not to separate them until blood was drawn, so I didn't. Well, that night they got in another big fight. In the battle, Maverick hurt Max's eye. It was bleeding and sunken in. It scared the bejesus outta me, so I rushed him to an exotic vet ER. They gave him eye drops, antibiotics, and Vitamin C and now he only has a tiny white spot where his eye was hurt. I'm not sure he sees out of that eye anymore though...

Separation: I gave them a week apart in separate cages and then tried to reintroduce them in my living room- with some bell pepper present. They immediately started the purring and the mating dance. Max tried to mount Maverick and then Maverick released some white stuff out of his bum all over Max, the floor and me (yay.). Question 2: What was that? Ejaculate? He does this every time he and Max are around each other.. it feels like he's warning Max to stay away. He kind of walks past Max, lifts his bum and then releases that stuff.

Question 3: Are they done being buddies forever? I feel like they miss one another. They have these connectable cages with houses that double as a second level. They both sleep next to each other on top of their houses (see the photo attached). Maverick doesn't get up there unless it's to be closer to Max.

Question 4: How do I properly reintroduce them if you think that's best? I really can't stand for another piggy to get hurt in my care, but I feel they are happier together. I have read basic advice on behavior and reintroduction- feel free to post links if there are resources out there.

Thank you very much for any insight or advice!

Max and Maverick .JPG

Welcome to our friendly forum! We are here to help if you have a problem.

The white stuff is wee. It is a very strong message from one piggy to another that says "go away I don't want you around or near me". Have a read through these guides they will help you.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonds In Trouble
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

@Wiebke is the bonding expert I've tagged her for you.

Back